I have made this pasta salad twice in the last week because it is that good – and both times I have served it to company. Rave reviews! The great thing about this salad is that it is so simple but the flavors are incredible and the addition of toasted pine nuts adds delicious crunch. I could eat the noodles plain without all the adornments because they are fantastic by themselves with just the garlic olive oil and parmesan cheese. Everything together creates a light but satisfyingly delicious combo. This will be making a frequent occurrence at our table!
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 4 oz. package pine nuts, lightly toasted (you can do this over medium-low heat in a non-stick skillet)
- Coarse salt
- Boil water for pasta. When water starts boiling, add a handful of rock salt (i.e. ice cream salt). Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain pasta and place in serving bowl.
- While pasta is boiling, saute garlic in olive oil until sizzling and lightly browned (don’t burn the garlic or it will taste bitter). Pour garlic and olive oil over warm pasta and toss. Sprinkle a teaspoon or so (to taste) of coarse salt over the noodles and add 1 cup of the parmesan cheese. Toss again. Let noodles cool slightly.
- Right before serving, top noodles with diced tomatoes, pine nuts, torn basil and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Very lightly toss, being careful not to let all the toppings go to the bottom. Serve.
Recipe Source: from Aunt Marilyn