I fully recognize that with March completely upon us, I might be the only one still living in a frozen tundra (thank you, Wisconsin), although, I have to admit that we are having rain today instead of snow and that overall it’s been a weirdly warm winter. But since hot chocolate season is abating quickly, I couldn’t pass up the chance to share my latest infatuation.
Enter Coconut Tres Leches Hot Chocolate. I mean, seriously, doesn’t the name alone speak volumes? A quick-to-throw-together ensemble of coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, regular milk (that’s where the tres leches comes from – 3 milks!), combined with cocoa powder and a touch of vanilla – this hot chocolate is tasty, tasty, tasty. In fact, Brian commented a few hours after downing a mug-full that it was the best hot chocolate he had ever had. That could possibly be attributed to the fact that he had spent the two hours previous to the hot chocolate shoveling the very wet, very heavy snow we had just received and anything would have tasted dreamy…but I’m going to stick with the fact that his insights are spot on and this is definitely some of the creamiest, most delicious hot chocolate we’ve enjoyed. And as I’ve mentioned, in all humility, I do tend to be a hot chocolate snob, so you know it’s gotta be good.
- 2 cups milk (anything from fat-free to whole milk)
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, light or regular
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (about 1/2 of a 14-ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk, whisking well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally so the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan. Once simmering, whisk in the cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Serve the hot chocolate in mugs topped with sweetened whipped cream, chocolate shavings, marshmallows, or whatever else your little heart desires.