Garlic Knots

This is my new favorite way to serve dinner rolls and it couldn’t be easier or more delicious, if you ask me. The method is simple – add minced garlic to melted butter and let sit while making the rolls. Brush the garlic-infused melted butter on top of the hot rolls and voila! A masterpiece of unsurpassed carbohydrate magnitude.

Garlic Knots

Garlic Knots

Garlic Knots

Note: as with all yeast doughs, I never use the flour amount called for in the recipe as a hard fast rule (unless a weight measure is given and then I pull out my kitchen scale). Because humidity, temperature, altitude and a multitude of other factors can impact how much flour you need in your yeast doughs, I always judge when to quit adding flour by the texture and look and feel of the dough rather than how much flour I’ve added compared to the recipe. This tutorial on yeast may help identify how a perfectly floured dough should be.

Ingredients

• 1 recipe French Bread Rolls
  • 4-6 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

1. Mix butter and garlic together in a small bowl and let sit while making the rolls (I put the garlic-butter mixture on top of the stove while the oven is on to bake the rolls so the butter stays warm and melted). Follow the recipe for the French Bread Rolls, the only change being that instead of shaping them into balls, roll each piece into a four to six-inch rope and form into a knot, tucking the loose ends into the center of the knot.
  2. Immediately after the rolls come out of the oven brush the butter/garlic mixture over the rolls. These are best eaten warm!

16 Responses to Garlic Knots

1. Abby says:

Now THAT is how I like to make bread – with lots of garlic. YUM.

2. Sit A Spell says:

I’ve done this before…it’s so good! I’m gonna have to try your mac n cheese recipe…mine is similar…love it!

3. Melanie says:

Hi Shelly – I’ve never frozen just the dough for these rolls before baking, but I freeze them a lot after I have baked them. I bake them and let them cool completely and then I put them in ziploc freezer bags (about 5 or 6 to a bag) and put them in the freezer. When I want to serve them I microwave them for a few minutes on 50% power until warm but not burned. They seem to tolerate the freezing and reheating quite well.

4. Leslie says:

mmm.these look perfect. I would love to sop up some red sauce with these

5. Tammy says:

I made these tonight for some guests and the 11 year old boy said “this is the best bread I’ve ever had” – it was so cute.

6. Amy says:

Very yummy! We loved these! My husband was very impressed that I could make them so “pretty”!
    I have made so many of your recipes and really enjoy them! I post them on my own blog which I use as my “cookbook.” I always credit your site as the source. I hope that is ok.

7. grace says:

well, you’ve got garlic, which is good. you have bread, which is a plus. and you have a fun shape, which is fabulous. with these qualities combined, i deem these the best rolls ever. :)

8. Shelly says:

I would like to make these and freeze some of them for my small family. Do you recommend freezing before or after baking? I would think after but then I don’t want them to dry out during reheating.

Thanks for your help! I really enjoy your writing and recipes.

9. Shelly says:

Thanks, Melanie! I will try it.

10. Laura says:

Your rolls look beautiful!

11. Melanie says:

Tammy – that’s high praise! I hope you took all the credit for yourself. That 11-year old boy will think you are the best bread baker ever! Thanks for letting me know.

12. Melanie says:

Amelia – thanks for your comment! That is definitely ok for you to post the recipes on your site – I’m glad you’ve liked them!

13. Christina says:

How did you make the knots?

14. tonya says:

Made half of the batch as these garlic knots (yummy!) & the other half as hot dog buns. ;o) Love a multi-tasking recipe!

15. Cicily says:

I made these rolls for dinner last night, and they were so good! My boys were impressed that I “didn’t even buy the bread!” I was wondering if this recipe would be good to bake in a loaf pan for ‘real’ bread. I’m sure I would have to increase the time, but other than that do you think it would yield good results?