Covered in buttery oats.
So yummy I could eat the whole pan.
Studded with chocolate.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 14 ounce bag of caramels
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or milk
- 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Mix the first six ingredients together and sprinkle half on the bottom of a 9X13-inch baking pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels and whipping cream or milk in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave at 50% power, stirring often, until the mixture is smooth. When the bars have been removed from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust and pour the melted caramel over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the crust over the top and bake in the oven for an additional 10-12 minutes, until the caramel is bubbling and edges are lightly browned. Cool the bars completely before serving so they can set up properly.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from my friend Judy C.