Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

You are either going to love me or hate me for this recipe.

Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

Five ingredients. Most of which probably reside in your pantry right now. Five ingredients that result in some of the most addictive faux-candy known to man. No candy thermometer needed, yet you still end up with a divine toffee that is made other-worldly by being baked on top of salty pretzels and furthered by a smothering of rich, dark chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt.

Seriously. My life will never be the same. Neither will my postpartum hips, for that matter, but that’s a personal problem I’ll try to deal with on my own.

One Year Ago: Grilled Steak and Veggie Kebabs
Two Years Ago: Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Three Years Ago: Shrimp Stir Fry with Snow Peas and Coconut Curry Sauce

Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

Ingredients

• About 8 ounces (half of a 1-pound bag) mini pretzels, broken into smaller pieces, more or less to cover the pan
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 cups (one 12-ounce bag) semisweet chocolate chips
  • Sea salt

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 11X17-inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Cover the bottom of the pan in a layer of broken mini pretzels. Set aside.
  2. In a small or medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and brown sugar. When the mixture starts to gently simmer and bubble, let it cook for 3 minutes without stirring. Immediately pour the hot caramel mixture over the pretzels in a back and forth motion to cover most of the pretzels (a few empty/dry spots are ok as the caramel will fuse together during baking).
  3. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top of the hot caramel and pretzels. Let the chocolate chips sit for 2-3 minutes until they melt. Use an offset spatula or rubber spatula to gently spread the melted chocolate over the toffee. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt.
  4. Let the toffee cool completely at room temperature then refrigerate if needed to help the chocolate set up. Break the toffee into pieces and try not to eat the whole batch.

Recipe Source: adapted slightly from a recipe sent to me by Sara R. via Flower Patch Farmgirl

79 Responses to Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark

1. Kim in MD says:

This looks crazy delicious, Mel! And your’e right…I have everything to make this in my pantry right now! ;-)

• Patti O says:

OMG!! I have made these with saltines, never thought about the pretzel angle. I can’t wait to make and eat these. Would it be wrong to hide it from my family?

2. Candice says:

Omg I am making this today!

3. Carla says:

I can’t WAIT to make this!! Thank you!

4. Dawn says:

We just had something like this at my son’s christening…instead of pretzels they used saltines….sooooooooo goooooood!

5. Why would you post this???!!!! Looks insanely delicious. And like I would eat the entire batch in one day.

6. Kelly says:

I think I just found my new favorite recipe! If it wasn’t so awful to run the oven, I’d make these right now! Whenever this heat breaks, I know what I’m making.

7. Danger! Danger! I always have these ingredients, and these are some of my favorite flavors. Gonna have to try this…and then try not to eat it all myself! Looks sooo gooooood Mel!

8. Love! Off to go find the ingredients!

9. Beetree says:

Ohhhhh my! :) My postpartum hips (and thighs, and…!) are NOT thanking you for this recipe….! Gotta go, off to find pretzels….

10. I love salted toffee/caramel desserts! I’m going to have to make this, pronto. Except I’m out of pretzels at the moment…

Ah, postpartum hips – makes you appreciate your mom even more and look forward to the day when your kiddos get that “aha!” moment too, right? :)

11. susan b says:

I have made this recipe with a layer of saltines instead of pretzels…using pretzels is a better option, I can’t wait to make this!!

12. VanessaG says:

I love sweet and salty. I am soooo making this! :)

13. whaaaaaaaaat. this looks awesome! This would make a great holiday giveaway.

14. Sara Reagan says:

Yeah! I am so glad you finally tried this recipe! My husband has even been taking it to work to his fellow co-workers. It is an awesome recipe! :)

15. Stephanie C says:

YUM!!! This is something I’ll eat & eat until it’s all gone.

16. Brittany says:

I’ve made this recipe with saltines and everyone thinks I just spent hours making real toffee. I never thought to make it with pretzels–thanks for the recipe!

17. Wendy says:

I just made these and they are amazing! WOW. Way to ruin my diet. :)

18. My taste buds love ya but my thighs may not think kindly of you after I make this!! Looks amazing …. and I love that it’s nut-free!!

19. I just discovered yogurt pretzels and now THIS?! I am pinning it to make as a treat for myself later.

20. CarolAnn says:

I don’t have the ingredients…right now…and I’m glad. Next week? Well, that’s a different story. Is there any difference in weight gain if you eat the entire batch in 1 day or if you spread it out and eat the entire thing in say…3 days? TY for posting such an easy recipe!

21. I am so bookmarking this for Christmas. Although I doubt I’ll wait that long to try it. ;)

22. Denise says:

Oh my gosh, I do love you but hate you. I can’t wait to make this. I hope I can share! Seriously though, thanks for the recipe !

23. Julie says:

I’ve made this with saltines, but it looks wonderful with pretzels, too! Thanks for sharing!

24. Candice says:

I made these and had to throw out 3/4 of the batch bc I couldn’t get it off the foil. :( Should the foil be sprayed with non-stick spray first?

• Paula says:

I had the same problem. My toffee did not get hard. Do it need to come to the hard crack stage?

It may just be a variation in oven temperature (since each oven varies slightly) – sounds like you might need a few more minutes on the baking time. It should crack like toffee.

25. Holly says:

I’m thinking it’s probably a good thing I do not have any pretzels on hand! I agree with those who are thinking ahead towards Christmas gifts!

26. Em says:

Youre right…..I hate you for sharing this recipe!! I love the sweet with salty.

27. Ava says:

I have a little obsession with the pretzel chocolate combination! This reminds me of a Passover matzo dessert/ saltine cracker dessert. Can’t wait to try!

28. Mel says:

Candice – I don’t grease the foil when I make this (thanks to the mega-butter in the recipe) but if yours is sticking, a light coating of cooking spray wouldn’t hurt. Could it be that it baked too long? That could cause it to stick, also.

29. janicedale says:

As of now, I don’t have the ingredients yet but as soon as I have all of them I will make it and try some and share it to my family. I am sure my kids will like it.

__________________________
    Quick Easy Cooking Recipes for One

30. grace says:

my post about saltine toffee has had the most views by leaps, bounds, and long jumps, and there’s an obvious reason for that–this stuff is grand.

31. Teresa R. says:

Just made this. Oh, myyyyy. I’ll probably wait till Christmas to make this again because it’s so good, I keep going back for more.

32. Loralee says:

oh…my…goodness…………!!

33. Bethany says:

I also make this with saltines, but I am going to try it with pretzels right now to take to some friends. Thanks for the variation!

34. Julie P says:

This is soooo good! Like chocolate crack! My family can’t get enough. We are going to have to up the exercise after eating this. :)

35. Martha P. says:

Do not even dare make this until grandkids come home!!!! Even if I hide it – I know where to find it!

Wanted: Tomato Pie recipe! I have looked back in your recipes to find one. I have tried one or two but never can compete with one that I ate at a ‘gone out of business’ tea room. Sooooo good! Just wondered if you make or know of a really good one. I want one with an honest to goodness pie crust – even if a bought one! Thanks!

36. Sarah says:

I had my husband make this for me last night. (I just had a baby 3 days ago, and read him the recipe from the couch) Our toffee came out totally grainy… like the sugar didn’t dissolve. Did he not cook it long enough with the butter, do you think?

37. kari says:

I LOVE your recipes….always a hit! I am definitely going to make this fodder. How long is good for? Does it need to be refrigerated?

38. Mel says:

Martha – I don’t have a great tomato pie recipe, I’m afraid…but if I stumble across one, I’ll send it your directions!

Sarah – grainy toffee can happen if any residual sugar crystals on the side of the pot are stirred down into the caramel/toffee while it boils. In this recipe, that would be the first step before you pour it on the pretzels and bake it. To prevent that, make sure the toffee isn’t stirred during the boiling stage on the stovetop. Also, when it is poured over the pretzels, don’t scrape the pot to get every bit of caramel out – just pour it out until it no longer comes on it’s own. By scraping it out, other sugar crystals may get back into the toffee and it can turn grainy when it bakes in the oven. It’s hard to say exactly why the graininess happens but those are two ways to help prevent it. I hope it works out better if you (or your husband) makes it again! Congrats on your new baby!

Kari – I’m not sure how long this will last since we eat our batches of this entirely too fast. I refrigerated mine but only because I liked it on the cool side. It’s really up to you!

39. Keri says:

What if I don’t have sea salt? Would you substitute another salt or just leave it plain?

40. Mel says:

Keri – do you have coarse kosher salt? Try sprinkling that on very lightly. If you don’t have a coarser type salt then I’d suggest leaving it off. Table salt wouldn’t have the same effect.

41. Andrea says:

Oh my. Just made this and my twelve year old told me it’s not his fault if he eats it all. Yum! Can’t believe how easy it was to make, thank you.

42. Oh yes. Yes. Yes. Please? This looks fantastic!

43. Missy says:

Mel I made this fir a BBQ and I couldn’t get out the door with the little bit that was left. People were grabbing at it. So yummy! Mine was on the softer side. Did I not cook it long enough? Is yours crunchier? I worry about burning it. I read your post about not scraping it out of the pan (which I did) so I’ll have to try it again soon! Ward BBQ maybe? :).

44. Mel says:

Hey Miss – if your toffee was a bit soft try adding an extra minute onto the baking step. Glad you liked it, though!

45. This is coming to my next Card Class! Thanks for the recipe!

46. Jenn says:

My toffee came out a bit soft too… I have to keep it in the refrigerator or it all gets a bit melty. The flavor is great though. I will try cooking it longer next time… perhaps that will help keep it from trying to stick to the foil as well.

Is there anything I can do to keep the chocolate from melting at room temperature? I don’t know much about cooking with chocolate.

47. Mel says:

Jenn – I think cooking longer could help with the toffee not being too soft. Other than refrigerating until ready to serve, there isn’t a great way to prevent the chocolate from melting (unless you add wax or oil to it, which I haven’t done before).

48. Jane says:

I’ve made this three times already, and the entire family is begging for more. Thanks for an incredibly easy and tasty treat.

49. Aubrie says:

This was amazing! I baked it a couple minutes longer than it said and the toffee was perfectly crunchy and delicious! Thanks for the awesome recipe, this is definitely going on my Christmas treat plates this year!

50. Jenah Parris says:

I made these last year, they tasted so good! Mine never quite caramelized though. The texture was sugary, grainy. Do you think I didn’t cook it long enough? I did three min. I’d really like to make them again this year!

51. Mel says:

Jenah – if the texture wasn’t like crisp toffee, then, yes, I’d suggest cooking for another minute.

52. Andrea says:

DELICIOUS and EASY!!!

53. Linda says:

Mel,
    This is a tasty treat! I have also made the saltine version, which is also nice. For another variation, try adding 6 Tablespoons of melted peanut butter after removing from the oven, before the chocolate chips are added. I put it back in the oven for one additional minute. YUMM!

54. Shannon says:

I only had about 1/4 of the pretzels called for, so I cut the recipe down. I am seriously candy-making challenged so I was nervous. I loved the way the toffee turned out–solid but not totally rock hard. The pretzels provided the crunch. It was easy and delicious and I felt successful! (Even though I just realized I forgot to put the salt on top!) Thanks for helping me through my candy making fear.

55. Lisa says:

I just made this and they are divine! I am trying to hold myself back from devouring the whole pan. Simple to make and delicious. Think I might try adding peanut butter like another poster mentioned.

56. […] Time: 20 min. + time to cool and set Yield: 1 large cookie sheet full Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe […]

57. […] recipe from Mel’s Kitchen CafĂ© is so simple (5 ingredients) with quick results (15 minutes) […]

58. William Graham says:

Hiya Mel, I have a technique question. Spreading the chocolate out is proving neigh on impossible- the pretzels move about and stick to the spatula. What to do?!?

William Graham – you can try adding a bit more chocolate – but as long as it’s spreading into a mostly smooth layer, it should be ok. You can see from my pictures that it’s not a beautiful, thick even layer. It’s thin in some spots. Do you have an offset spatula? I find it works wonders.

59. Susie says:

Yes…I screwed up the recipe by not cooking the caramel correctly. It’s been in fridge over an hour and still soft. Thank you for having tips for people like me! Will try again Saturday.

60. Surkhab says:

oooo…ymmmmmm… i love your Salted Chocolate Toffee its looking soooo tasty …i will try this soon..

61. […] This was really easy to make and tastes more impressive than it looks!Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe […]

62. D.J. Kirkby says:

This looks soooo YUM! I need to see if I can tweak it to make a dairy free recipe.

63. NRS says:

Mel, can’t wait to try these! I know you use salted butter in your recipes. Did you here as well, or would that make it too salty with the pretzels and sea salt? Thanks!

NRS – I used salted butter here, too – you could always cut back the additional salt but we loved it as is. Hope you like it!

64. NRS says:

Mel, made this when we got back from our trip this afternoon. Ended up using unsalted butter since that’s what I had. We love it!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

65. vicky says:

DO NOT use foil or parchment. Twice I made this and had to toss it because the paper/foil stuck to the toffee. So disappointing as I needed them for a party that night.

66. Minnie says:

We made these and they are so delicious! Unfortunately, I’m out of sea salt so I’ll have to use regular salt the next time I make it!

67. hope says:

I made this and the caramel didn’t set up AT ALL. It tastes amazing, but it isn’t the right consistency. I used margarine, is that my problem?

68. Julie Snider says:

I made this and it tastes delicious! However, 8 oz of pretzels is too much. I measured 4 full cups of pretzels and there’s not enough caramel or chocolate to cover them. Next time I’m going to use 6 oz of pretzels.

69. SMum says:

I used margarine (canola/soybean) to make this and had no problems. I kept it in the fridge because I was worried about the chocolate getting soft at room temp., but maybe that helped the margarine set as well?