9 Responses to Video Kitchen/Cooking Tips

1. Julie ORear says:

Why had I not thought, GREAT IDEA!!!!

2. Stephanie says:

Thanks for sharing! Very ingenious and practical!

3. Raquel says:

Thanks for such a great website! You may have a whole list of tutorials in the works, but if you need any ideas for video tutorials :) I am terrible at wrapping/rolling burritos or eggrolls (for recipes like your baked southwest eggrolls and freezer beef and bean burritos). My husband can always get his to stay rolled up so well, and I am just lousy at it. Just ask him how to do it, you say? His answer as to how he does it so well….”I don’t know. I just do it.” Not helpful. :)

4. Lisa says:

Hi Mel!
    I have an issue. I try to avoid it whenever I can, but last week I made your broccoli cheese soup, which involves making a roux. The soup was grade A….of course…. but my roux always…. always always… turns out to be grainy. It drives me crazy. I consulted with my go to person on cooking advice (Mom), and she replied with, “Why do you think I always keep cornstarch in the cupboard?”
    Well…. that didn’t help. I love your videos. I would swoon over a video on how to make a roux, and I think there may be quite a few others out there. I have seen plenty of step-by-step picture tutorials, and that obviously has not helped.

Hi Lisa – just out of curiosity, have you made the Hawaiian Haystacks gravy from my site? I’ve had some rouxs turn out a bit grainy, too, but that one is always completely smooth. I’d be curious if you’ve made it and what your experience has been.

5. Don Bonthron says:

Can’t find your video on pie crust using sour cream.

6. heidi says:

Can’t wait to see a sliver of your new kitchen :) I hope you love your new digs.

7. Joan Dahlen says:

I just found your adorable web site and am so jealous because you have done an amazing job. About avoiding a grainy roux, there are several tricks that guarantee better results and no graininess. When you start adding the flour to the melted fat, you must whisk constantly, making sure the heat is not so high that the roux begins to overthicken and stick to the pan.

If this happens, add more fat (butter, bacon grease, olive oil, whatever) to the pan before adding any more flour, and whisk that added fat into the overthickened roux until it smooths out and is no longer too thick.

When the added fat is melted and bubbling into the roux and has been whisked into the too thick roux and the roux is smooth again, then slowly and carefully start adding the rest of the flour. Remember to constantly whisk throughout the roux making process.

Even though the recipe gives you a certain amount of fat and of flour to use for the roux,sometimes you need to add more of each to make the roux work correctly. The absorption rate differs for flour depending on how much moisture is in the air, etc., so don’t think you will ruin the roux if you add more fat or more flour. That fact and constant whisking is the secret .