A good friend made these delectable, healthy little snacks and shared some a while back when our kids were playing together at a park. She was gracious enough to pass along the recipe and I made a huge batch of them before I had my baby and am I ever glad I did!
They freeze beautifully and now all I have to do is pull a few out of the freezer, let them thaw a few minutes, and my boys are in heaven snacking away and I can feel good that these little treats are low in refined sugar and packed with fiber and protein.
Made with peanut butter, powdered milk, applesauce, a myriad of wholegrain, healthful cereals, they have a fabulous texture of smooth peanut butter and crunchy cereal, and of course I had to throw in some mini chocolate chips to make them even sweeter.
The great thing about them is that even though they are quite healthful, my boys still eat them as their “treat” after meals because of the chocolate chips. And my husband and I love them, too!
If you want a great snacking treat, this recipe is for you.
Peanut Butter Crunch Snack Balls
- 2 cups honey
- 6 cups peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 3 cups rice krispies
- 1½ cups grape nuts
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups coconut
- 3 cups crushed cereal (I used honey nut cheerios and Life cereal since I had it on hand)
- 1½ cups chocolate or butterscotch chips – or substitute dried fruit, like raisins
- 5-8 tablespoons powdered milk
- 4 cups crushed mini-wheat cereal
- Mix all but last two ingredients and mix until well combined. Add powdered milk, like flour, to make a soft, cookie-like dough.
- Form into 1” ball and roll in crushed mini-wheats. A scoop works very well for this. Refrigerate or freeze.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from Michelle N.