Chicken and Rice with Coconut Milk and Pistachios
I am in serious need of a non-sweet-treat post. I feel like apologizing for all the desserts I’ve posted lately…but I just can’t apologize for something like that.
This meal fits the bill for a healthy and delicious weeknight dinner. It is easy to prepare and you don’t have to slave away in the kitchen all afternoon to get it done.
Plus, it tastes fantastic.
Don’t be scared off by the coconut milk and pistachios, they are essential to this dish. The coconut milk gives a subtle sweet flavor that is delicious with the crunch of the pistachios.
We love chicken and rice dishes around our house and this has been made several times already!
A simple side salad (or something more fun like these simple Caprese Skewers)
A good dinner roll, like these Parker House Rolls
Recipe Source: adapted from The Best Skillet Recipes
4 (5 to 6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (an Indian spice blend found in most supermarkets)
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped pistachios, lightly toasted
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Pound each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap to a uniform 1/2-inch thickness. Place the flour in a shallow dish and pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then season with salt and pepper. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is rippling. Carefully lay the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and return to medium heat until rippling. Add the onion, garam masala, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth and coconut milk, scraping up any browned bits. Nestle the chicken into the rice and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is done, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean plate, brushing off any rice back into the skillet. Tent the chicken loosely with foil to stay warm. Cover the skllet and continue to cook the rice over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, sprinkle the peas over the rice, cover, and let warm through, about 2 minutes. Add the pistachios and cilantro and gently fold into the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the chicken.
Be sure to use chicken breasts that are about the same size to make sure the chicken cooks evenly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.