My husband loves Orange Chicken.
I found a knock-off Panda Express recipe that I thought I would try but as I started making it I realized it was going to be a disaster (I hate it when that happens) so I pulled out another version from Blog Chef, combined the two and the result was incredibly delicious.
Plus, I found a few work around areas that will make this dish very speedy in the future.
You can certainly deep fry the chicken for an authentic crispy coating but I actually prefer the lighter, easier version I’ve typed up below because the chicken really holds onto the delicious orange sauce.
And I don’t know about you, but I believe orange sauce is meant to be held on to.
Simple and delicious, this is one of our favorite meals!
Fabulous Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 350. In a shallow dish combine the flour, garlic powder and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in flour mixture and coat evenly.
- Pour oil (or melt butter and pour) in a shallow baking dish, large enough to accommodate chicken in a single layer. Arrange chicken in pan and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine water, fresh orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, orange zest and whisk over medium heat for a few minutes. Then stir in brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onion and let it come to a boil. Combine cornstarch with water and let it dissolve and add it to the sauce until thickened.
- After chicken has baked the 30 minutes, turn each piece over and pour 1/2 sauce mixture evenly over chicken. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes basting frequently.
- Serve chicken over rice with extra sauce on the side
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from Blog Chef