The Lava Flow Drink
The flavors in this lava flow drink are amazing. Pineapple, coconut, and strawberry combine into a magically delicious, yummy cold drink.
This is the second beautiful and refreshing drink I’m sharing this week, just in case you need beverage inspiration for the upcoming 4th of July holiday – or anytime, for that matter.
The flavors of this drink are a combination made in heaven, if you ask me. Pineapple, coconut, and strawberry with a slushy, creamy undertone combine into a magically delicious, cold and wonderful drink.
I made this drink a few months ago during a really warm spell in our unusually hot spring and my kids were crazy for it (don’t worry, my version is non-alcoholic!).
I shooed them outside to slurp in wild abandon while I stayed in the kitchen and finished off all the pitchers…with wild abandon, too.
Don’t judge me. I was about 11 months pregnant at that time.
Although it does require three components of readiness (and subsequently will require a bit of washing afterwards), it is well worth it. Mighty delicious, this lava flow drink!
The Lava Flow Drink
- 3 ½ cups pineapple juice
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) cream of coconut, (like Coco Lopez brand)
- 1 cup half-and-half, fat-free or regular
- 24 ounces frozen strawberries in syrup, slightly thawed until slushy in texture
- Fresh pineapple for garnish, if desired
- In a blender, puree the slightly thawed strawberries with 1/2 cup water. The mixture should be syrupy and thick. Transfer to a liquid measure, bowl or pitcher and set aside.
- In a pitcher, whisk together the pineapple juice, cream of coconut and half-and-half.
- In a blender (washed from pureeing the strawberries), fill up halfway with ice. Pour in the coconut/pineapple mixture until it comes up to an even height with the ice. Blend until slushy (add more coconut/pineapple mixture if it is too thick to blend easily).
- Pour about an inch of the strawberry syrup mixture into a cup. Pour the icy coconut/pineapple mixture into the center of the strawberry mixture in the cup until the cup is filled. If desired, gently swirl the mixture with a straw.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple, if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from The Coterie Blog