Update (6/2012): This recipe has been around since I started blogging over three years ago. They are simple and fantastically delicious.
Over the years, I’ve changed the recipe just slightly (adding an additional egg yolk to help the consistency) but these definitely remain a favorite.
They are sweet and chewy and a perfect alternative to scooping out oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I just love cookies in bar form. I really do.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Bars
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick oats or rolled oats)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, beat butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips together. Mix until combined. Press into the prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until light golden brown. Don’t overbake! These bars are definitely better underbaked by just a few minutes rather than being overbaked so watch them carefully. Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing into squares.
I almost always double this recipe and press the dough into a large 11X17-inch rimmmed sheet pan. They are delicious with any assortment of chocolate chips (butterscotch, mint, etc.).
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from 24 Hour Menu