Ok, so admittedly cute little candy corns aren’t exactly “spooky” when it comes to Spooky Eats Week, but they fit into the Halloween theme…so…here they are.
Another idea that is simple in concept, vanilla ice cream is lightly colored and layered in a clear cup to look just like the sugary, addictive treats so easily devoured during the fall and Halloween season.
I mean, it is just vanilla ice cream, after all, but you would have thought I was a living genius the way my kids wide-eyed and open-mouthed looked at the candy corn milkshakes – then looked at me – looked at the candy corn milkshakes – then looked at me. Seriously. A genius.
I’ll take it. And don’t you dare send my kids a memo with the truth about their very ungenius mother.
On that note, I’ll leave you with the promise that tomorrow, I have two fantastic recipes to share that will taste deliciouso and still gross out the kids plenty enough to keep things lively.
Recipe Source: inspired by this post from Pinterest
1 quart vanilla ice cream
Orange and yellow food coloring
Clear plastic or glass cups
Lightly sweetened whipped cream
Sprinkles, if desired
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it soften for about 20-30 minutes. Spoon 1/3 of the ice cream into a medium bowl. Use orange food coloring, gel or liquid, to color the ice cream orange as desired. Stir well to mix and color.
- In another medium bowl, spoon another 1/3 of the ice cream and color it yellow as desired. Stir well to mix and color.
- Stir the remaining vanilla ice cream until it is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon yellow ice cream into the bottom of a plastic cup, to fill the cup 1/3 full. You may need to wipe the cup down if streaks are in the upper part of the cup from spooning it in. Flatten it out as well as you can, trying to eliminate any air bubbles on the side.
- Spoon in orange ice cream on top of the yellow to fill the cup about 2/3 full. Again, wipe down the inside of the cup, if needed, and smooth out the top of the orange ice cream. Top with vanilla ice cream to within 1/4-inch of the top of the cup. Smooth out the top.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired. Freeze until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.