I love skillet meals.
I love quick meals.
I love one-pot wonder meals.
I love classic, comfort foods remade with delicious ingredients.
And I love this chicken and rice which meets all the criteria above.
The finished texture of the rice is a creamy, cheesy, near-risotto-like consistency that is perfect with the tender crunch of the green beans and sizzling browned flavor of the chicken.
I have made this recipe time and time again and it never fails to produce a hearty meal, albeit unphotogenic, that pleases just about everyone in the whole family – especially me since I didn’t have to slave in the kitchen for hours to get dinner on the table.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, brushed clean and quartered or sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ pound frozen or fresh green beans
- 1 cup shredded sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is rippling and hot. Carefully lay each chicken breast in the skillet and cook until the chicken is well browned on the first side, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken with a pair of tongs and let it brown on the second side, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Drain all but about 1-2 tablespoons oil from the pan.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom and edges of the pan, until the mushrooms begin to soften and start to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the rice and continue to cook until the edges of the rice turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken to the pan and cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the rice is mostly cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet again, brushing off any rice that sticks to the chicken back into the skillet. Cover the chicken with foil to keep warm. Stir the green beans into the skillet, stir the mixture well, cover and continue to cook on low until the beans and rice are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Cover and Bake