Oreo Truffles

Oreo Truffles

Ingredients

• 1 package (18 oz.) Oreo cookies, crushed into small pieces
  • 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 package Almond Bark
  • Chocolate chips or chocolate bark for drizzling

Directions

1. Mix crushed Oreos and cream cheese until well-combined. The best way to do this is using your fingers - it will be messy! Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet or tray. Refrigerate until firm, 3-4 hours (or stick in the freezer for about an hour).
  2. Melt white almond bark according to package directions. Using 2 forks (or a spoon, but forks always work better for me), dip Oreo balls into white coating and place onto waxed paper to harden. Once dry, melt chocolate bark (or if using chocolate chips, melt chocolate chips with a bit of shortening) and scoop melted chocolate into a ziploc baggie. Snip a very small corner off the bag and drizzle back and forth over the truffles. Let dry. Chill them and serve after chilled (they taste best cold!).

Recipe Source: adapted from Bakerella

31 Responses to Oreo Truffles

1. Melanie says:

marimari410 – I’m not sure that raspberry jam would be a strong enough binder for the cake balls. Perhaps half jam and half frosting would work!

2. marimari410 says:

Do you think instead of using vanilla frosting in the red velvet cake to make the balls, what about a rasberry jam? how would that be?

3. Deborah says:

I have really been wanting to make these! Yours look great!

4. grace says:

both of these little balls of goodness are definite winners. i made oreo truffles for a family reunion once, and now i’m expected to bring them to each and every family get-together. good stuff, melanie!

5. Melanie says:

Thanks everyone for your comments. These truffles are such a hit – I can tell by everyone saying they have either made them or have planned on it – Bakerella has such great ideas!Laura – the pink chocolate is such a great idea for Mother’s Day – I can’t wait to see pictures! And yes, I think it is a good idea to refrigerate the red velvet truffles, too, mostly because they taste better chilled but also because they do have the cream cheese in the filling.

6. Kevin says:

More chocolate covered cakes. These look really good! The dark red of the velvet cake is really nice!

7. Steph says:

I just bought all the ingredients to make these! I planned on making them yesterday, but lost the time, so very soon!

8. The Mendoza Family says:

I have been lucky enough to have received some of the Oreo truffles from Melanie herself, and they were…indescribably perfectly delectably delish!! SOO fantastic! I can’t wait to make them myself! Thanks so much, Mel!! You’re my fave!

9. Laura says:

I’m guessing the red velvet ones need to be refrigerated also until serving? I am going to make them to give away for Mother’s Day. I’m going to drizzle them with pink chocolate. I love your blog, it’s my favorite one of all. Your cooking is right up my alley. Thanks Melanie!

10. Merianne says:

I love making cake balls with my left over cake scraps. They’re delicious with any kind of cake and chocolate. Glad you found a recipe on them, I should have passed along my secret a long time ago. :)

11. jaesi says:

oh man, Im loving your blog. Ive made several yummies and they have been DELICIOUS! I loved loved the stroganoff! Thanks again.

12. Melanie says:

Melissa – GREAT idea to make these for Mother’s Day. I’m so glad you liked them!

13. PheMom says:

These all look great. I tried to make some cake ones, but didn’t have a can of frosting (so I made a batch). They ended up being way to soft to do anything with at all. I’ll have to try again sometime – probably with your Oreo ones. Yummy!

14. Julia from Dozen Flours says:

I got bit by the Bakerella cake-ball bug too. I made her cupcakes on a stick and man, was that harder than I expected. It wasn’t so much that it was hard, it was just that it took a lot of time and patience. They were a hit though. I want to try the Oreo ones next but I think I’ll take your advice and make them truffle shaped instead.

15. Sarah says:

I’ve been wanting to try these for a while since they seem so cute and easy. You did a great job!

16. Melissa Basua says:

I made these tonight with my kids for all the Grandmas for Mother’s day. They are AMAZING!! thanks!

17. Anonymous says:

Question, Once made, how long will the oreo one’s be edible if kept in the fridge? (because of the cream cheese).. TIA!

18. Melanie says:

Anonymous – I’ve kept both of these in the fridge for at least 3 days and they taste just fine. The cake balls taste better if they are taken out of the fridge at least 15 minutes before serving – for some reason (at least in my opinion) they tasted better with a little of the chill off, but the oreo truffles taste fine straight out of the fridge.

19. [...] dessert spread? Cupcakes, strawberries with Chocolate Chai Dip, Mississippi Mud and a new favorite: Oreo Truffle Balls . I had wanted to try my hand at cake balls, but my kids picked these out and since I didn’t [...]

20. Elise says:

My cake is cooling at this moment!! I didn’t realize you had your husband take these to a work thing. That is why I’m making them. Hope everyone likes them.

21. Angie says:

Hey Mel –
    I’ve made these at least 1000 times, but now I have a question for you on the 1001st time ;o) Can you make the Oreo balls and freeze the balls (without the chocolate on them) for use in the future – like a couple weeks or a month down the road? Not sure with the cream cheese, so I thought I’d check if you’ve ever done that.

Hey Angie, yes, I have made and frozen the oreo truffle centers many times. It works great. Just let them thaw a little before dipping or else they will crack. I usually take them out of the freezer and put them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours so they are still firm but not frozen when I dip them. I think they are probably fine frozen for at least 4-6 weeks.

22. Lucy says:

I’m sure these will taste great because they’re on your awesome blog, Mel! If I feel ambitious I might try this cute oreo snowman idea with the oreo truffles.

23. [...] dessert spread? Cupcakes, strawberries with Chocolate Chai Dip, Mississippi Mud and a new favorite: Oreo Truffle Balls . I had wanted to try my hand at cake balls, but my kids picked these out and since I didn’t have [...]

24. [...] to using frosting instead of cream cheese, but next time I’m trying this recipe found here (pictures to come) Recipe Book from Anthropologie gift from 2 of my [...]

25. [...] due to using frosting instead of cream cheese, but next time I’m trying this recipe found here (pictures to come) Recipe Book from Anthropologie gift from 2 of my friends…perfect for [...]

26. Katie says:

I want to make the Oreo truffles, but I fear most of them will get eaten by my husband and myself! Approximately how many does it make? Halving the recipe might be the best idea with all the goodies around this time of year. Thanks! Love, love, love your site!

27. Mel says:

Katie, its been awhile since I made them but I’d say a couple dozen.

28. Alyssa M. says:

Both of these are amazing!!!! I made them for Christmas and everyone loved them and is still raving about them!! I was surprised to have any left over…which the husband and I have been sneaking out of the fridge… They are addicting and you cant help but go get one when the thought of them gets stuck in your mind! hahaha.

I am actually making more for my husband to take to work tomorrow as a New Years Eve treat… I dont think they will last very long with those fellers!!

29. Viktoriya says:

In general, can you use regular white chocolate chips for any cake pop recipe that say to use chocolate candy melts or chocolate wafers? Do the chocolate chips melt faster or don’t set right? Or can they still cool and become a solid encasing the truffle (cake pop) itself? Would it be much of a difference?

Actually, white chocolate chips do not melt very well at all. They can get thick and clumpy – so whenever I use white chocolate for melting or coating, I always use the white chocolate melting wafers or almond bark.