Ok, I know I promised savory appetizers this Sugar Rush season, but I’m fudging a little with this recipe because it is just too pretty and elegant not to share.
A major, unorthodox twist on bruschetta, I’ve had this sweet version swirling around my head for a while before deciding to give it a go. These cinnamon and sugar toasted slices of chewy baguette, topped with a delightful, creamy concoction enhanced with fresh lemon zest and finished off with juicy, sweet berries are a fabulous addition to any entertaining table. As for us? No entertaining necessary, my kids, husband and I, ate these up in a flash after dinner one night and the kids enjoyed the leftovers as semi-healthful snacks for a few days (even though the toasted bread wasn’t so toasty for leftovers – as if my four little heathens cared!).
The lightly sweetened cream cheese mixture has just enough tanginess from the yogurt and citrus freshness from the lemon to compliment the sweet berries perfectly.
I can see all sorts of events these beautiful bruschetta would be perfect for: showers of any kind (the baby/bridal variety), book club food tables, holiday appetizer spreads and many more. Because they are so simple to make, they really do make a perfect snack, as I mentioned above. Although I do have to admit that as my kids were willy nilly inhaling gorgeous piece after piece, I kind of sort of wanted to cry because the beauty of the bruschetta were completely and utterly lost on them. As boys (sorry for the stereotype) they could care less that they are some of the prettiest, daintiest things to come out of my kitchen. All I heard amid stuffed mouthfuls was, “Mmm, these are good, mom.” Sigh. I stared at a couple of pieces for 3 1/2 minutes admiring the contrasting colors and simple elegance until I decided to stuff it and just inhale them myself. Good choice on my part because they were half gone by then. Enjoy!
Click HERE to see all of this year’s Sugar Rush Reinvented recipes. And don’t forget the special Sugar Rush highlight below!
Note: If you want to use plain yogurt instead of vanilla, taste to adjust the sweetness accordingly (you may need to add a bit more powdered sugar).
- 1 12- to 14-inch long crusty baguette, sliced 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick
- Cinnamon and sugar
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Berries for topping (pomegranate seeds, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- Fresh mint for garnish, if desired
- Lightly butter one side of each baguette slice and place butter side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Toast the bread slices under the oven broiler until golden brown (but not burned - watch closely!). It should only take 1-2 minutes to toast perfectly. Remove from oven and let the bread slices cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, powdered sugar and yogurt and whisk to combine well.
- Spread a tablespoon or so of the sweet cream cheese mixture on each toasted bread slice. Top with berries of your choice and fresh mint, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve (up to 2 hours - after that the bread slices may get a little soft).
Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe