Let’s just state the plain facts. It is nearly impossible for me to take an appealing picture of a casserole-type meal, but please take my word for it: this meal is fantastic.
My cousin Camille (who incidentally was my post-college roommate for a few years and who has always been a fantastic cook) sent me this recipe a few weeks ago.
I finally tried it and based on my husband mumbling “this is so good” through mouthfuls of food, I’d say it was a big hit at our house.
I made this meal a few hours ahead of time and refrigerated it, which made dinnertime a breeze. Thanks, Camille!
- 16 ounce package of cheese tortellini (my advice is to use the fresh, not frozen, variety – the kind you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store b/c they taste better and it cuts down on boiling time since the noodles aren’t completely dry)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups (about 2 chicken breasts) chicken cut up into bite size pieces
- 3 green onions finely chopped, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces (1 cup) chicken broth
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat with good results)
- 8 oz (2 cups) shredded Monterey jack cheese (to be honest, any combination of cheeses, like cheddar, mozzarella or monterey jack would be good)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook tortellini for 2-3 minutes (this is if you use the “fresh” tortellini from the refrigerated section – and to be completely honest, next time I’m going to try not boiling it at all and letting it cook while it bakes in the oven). Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Brown the chicken for 1-2 minutes and add the fresh mushrooms and green onions, cooking until chicken is done and mushrooms are golden brown. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir until thickened. Mix in sour cream until mixture is creamy and slightly thickened.
- Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray. Pour tortellini in bottom of 9X13 pan. Sprinkle half the cheese over tortellini. Put cooked chicken/sauce mixture on top and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake covered with tin foil at 350 for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for additional 15 minutes until bubbly and golden brown around the edges.
Recipe Source: adapted from Camille