Croque Monsieur Made Simple
This croque monsieur recipe is a delicious, simple, 30-minute meal perfect for a busy weeknight. Take grilled cheese to a whole new level!
This is one spiffied up grilled cheese sandwich!
I have wanted to make croque monsieur sandwiches ever since I had one in a quaint little bistro in downtown Chicago several years ago but they seemed too complicated and not worth the effort.
Despite those fears, I decided to make them for my family the other night.
They were fantastic and SO simple! It took the “make-dinner-fast” issue that usually results in plain old grilled cheese to a whole new level.
They were unique, the cheese was creamy both inside and out (thanks to the mayonnaise layer) and they were altogether delicious.
Croque Monsieur Made Simple
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices Gruyere cheese, I used swiss
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a small bowl stir together 1 tablespoon of the mayo and the mustard. Spread evenly over 4 slices of the bread. Arrange a slice of ham and a slice of Gruyere on each piece of bread.
- Put the remaining 4 slices of bread on top of the sandwiches. Brush the outside of both slices of bread with the melted butter. Preheat an indoor grill or heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the bread is lightly browned on both sides and there are nice-looking grill marks on the bread. Using a large spatula, transfer the sandwiches to a broiling tray or cookie sheet. Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the top of the sandwiches with the remaining tablespoon mayo and top with the 4 remaining slices cheese, being sure to cover the crusts of the bread.
- Broil, cheese side up, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve hot.
Recipe Source: adapted from The Family Cookbook – Debra Ponzek
9 Comments on “Croque Monsieur Made Simple”
This sammie sounds awesome! This week the theme for my *Happy Post* is Grilled Cheese. Would love if you submitted this & any other Grilled Cheese themed links to the round-up. http://su.pr/1R06Od
I live in Chicago and have never seen these things before! I’ll have to go out on a search or just make them myself, thanks to you 🙂
I love croque monsieur. This is so comfort food.
Yum! That looks great!
recipegirl – I hadn’t heard of these either until the fated trip to Chicago – now it seems I come across them everywhere. Funny how that works!>>Holly (phemom) – I know you make good food – because I read your blog! Chocolate and sweets are good, too, and I know that you aren’t eliminating dinner from your meal plan. 🙂>>katskitchen – I wish I remembered the name of the restaurant I had these at in Chicago. My cousin took me there when I was visiting so I’ll have to email her. Let me know if you come across anywhere else that makes them. Yum!
I made these for lunch today for the three of us. We loved them! -including Benny. Thanks! 🙂
I’ve not heard of these before, but I sure do love spiffed up grilled cheese… or any grilled cheese for that matter!
See! You make food. Good food. I swear we don’t just eat cookies and cake at our house! (OK, just lots of fast soup). : )
These sound delicious! I’m going to have to make them soon.