My life is forever changed after experiencing these brownies.
They are so delicious, it is beyond words. My sister-in-law, Kylie posted the recipe on her blog and I couldn’t wait to try them (thanks, Kylie!).
From Cooking Light, these brownies are phenomenal – the end result is an extremely moist (unbelievably so), chocolate-y brownie with a mint kick that it is irresistible.
The key, I believe, to making these even more delicious is to keep them chilled (per the recipe). It helps the brownie layer retain it’s denseness and I wouldn’t eat them any other way.
Ok, actually, I probably would because they are that good, but chilling is preferred.
Chocolate Mint Brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten (FYI: the original recipe replaces two of these 4 eggs with 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) can chocolate syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare bottom layer, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt; stir with a whisk. Combine granulated sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons water, vanilla, eggs, and chocolate syrup in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring until blended. BATTER WILL BE VERY THIN! Pour batter into a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare mint layer, combine powdered sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and next 3 ingredients (through food coloring) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Spread mint mixture over cooled cake. (Kylie prefers the non-mint version: she substitutes vanilla extract for the mint extract.)
- To prepare the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Let stand 2 minutes. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut into 20 pieces.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from Cooking Light