Frozen hot chocolate is one of my favorite evening treats.
I love everyday hot chocolate, but making it into an icy, sweet, slurpy drink is my idea of glorious.
I have tried several recipes and recently found this one on epicurious.com (I believe it is originally a Serendipity recipe). I loved it! Of course I added a bit more chocolate than the recipe called for but that is usually what happens in my world when it comes to chocolate – the more the better.
It has now replaced my other recipes as my go-to frozen hot chocolate recipe.
If you’ve never had frozen hot chocolate, it’s worth trying! Delicious.
- 4 ounces of your favorite chocolate (I used semi-sweet chocolate)
- 2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice cubes
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt in microwave on low heat. Once melted, add hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Slowly add 1/2 cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In blender, place the remaining 1 cup milk, room-temperature chocolate mixture and ice.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Enjoy! (This recipe made a large blender full – I believe I got at least 4 8 oz. servings from one batch.)
Recipe Source: adapted from epicurious.com