Fudgy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Do you see that layer of fudge? Do you? Do you?
It’s glorious. And that’s coming from a self-proclaimed fudge-hater. But sandwiched between layers of buttery graham crackers, toffee bits and chocolate chip cookie dough…well, I take it back; I’ll eat fudge any day (and all day) like that.
It’s spring break vacation around here which means two things:
1) Chaos is about to erupt at epic proportions (thanks to the pent up energy of four little boys) which is why this blog post is blessedly short, and…
2) Since we still have two feet of snow on the ground, we are celebrating “spring break” by sledding, hot chocolate and these fudgy beauties.
Want to join us? Everyone should get to enjoy the pleasure of sledding and building snow forts on spring break! It builds character.
One Year Ago: Coconut Tres Leches Hot Chocolate
Two Years Ago: Southwestern Chicken Barley Chili
Three Years Ago: Classic Italian Lasagna
Recipe Source: adapted from Shugary Sweets
2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 package (12 oz.) semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup toffee bits
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 package (12 oz.) milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and butter until evenly moistened. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- For the fudge, in a microwaveable bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for one minute at 50% power. Stir. Microwave for another minute and continue stirring and microwaving until the mixture is smooth and melted. Pour the fudge mixture over the crust, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the toffee bits (1/2 cup).
- For the cookie layer, in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer), beat together the butter, milk, vanilla, and brown sugar. Add the egg and mix. Stir in the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips. Dollop this mixture by tabespoonfuls across the fudge layer and spread to form an even layer. Sprinkle with the toffee bits (1/2 cup).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until edges are puffed and the top is golden brown. Don't overbake or the bars will be tough and dry. Pull them out when the top is golden but the cookie dough still looks a bit soft. Cool completely and cut into squares.