I am just returning from a sudden out-of-town trip and my house and children are overloaded with needs I must attend to.
So in that vein, let me simply state that if you need a midweek pick-me-up, these quick and delicious treats are for you.
I love the ease of bars versus cookies and this chocolate chip variation manages to be chewy, buttery, studded with the perfect amount of chocolate…and utterly fantastic.
These have definitely become my go-to chocolate chip blondie bar and I hope you love them as much as we do.
Now wish me luck in getting my life in order.
Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars
- 2 1/8 cups (10 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup (7 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/2 (3 1/2 ounces) cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips (use your preference of semisweet, bittersweet, milk, white, peanut butter…the options are endless!)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the brownies from the pan after they have baked. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.
- Bake until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Cook’s Illustrated