Grilled Island Chicken
This grilled island chicken is some of the juiciest, most flavorful chicken around, and is perfect for those warm grilling months!
This grilled chicken is perhaps one of the simplest and most delicious chicken recipes I’ve ever tried.
Marinaded in a flavorful concoction of lemon, oregano, soy sauce and garlic, this recipe is similar to the tasty lemon and garlic grilled chicken that I have waxed poetic about in the past.
The difference with the Island Chicken is that it is a bit more subtle on the robust fresh lemon juice and garlic flavors which allows the soy sauce and oregano to really shine, as well.
After marinating, the chicken is grilled to get some of the juiciest, most flavorful chicken around. It is perfect for those warm months that are creeping up when I want to avoid turning on my oven.
Since making it the first time, I’ve also marinaded the chicken in large chunks and grilled them on skewers with red peppers and onions. Heavenly. And oh, so easy.
Grilled Island Chicken
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from about 1-2 lemons
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a mixing bowl or large airtight plastic bag. Whisk or shake well until the marinade is well mixed. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl or plastic bag so that they are covered by the marinade. If using a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap. If using a plastic bag, press out all the excess air and seal the bag tightly.
- Refrigerate and marinate up to 10 hours (I would suggest marinading for at least 3 hours at the minimum).
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. Grill the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side (depending on how thick the chicken breasts are), until the chicken is no longer pink in the center (if you have a meat thermometer, the chicken should register 165 degrees). Tent with foil and let the chicken rest for about five minutes before serving.
Alternately, the chicken can be baked using the following directions:
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and pour the excess marinade over them. Bake in the oven until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165° F, about 45 minutes (exact baking time will depend on the size of your chicken pieces.) Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Annie’s Eats