Loaded Baked Potato Salad
This loaded baked potato salad is a unique twist on classic potato salad. It’s an incredibly creamy, flavorful salad with simple ingredients.
I hate to admit this, I really do. It’s like picking a favorite child. But in the interest of personal blog honesty, I have to state here and now that this Loaded Baked Potato Salad? Well, it totally won out as the favorite summer recipe.
I know! A simple baked potato salad? Who would have thought? It’s for real, though. Favorite.Summer.Recipe.
In fact, my husband loved it so much, he’s still been dropping hints about how good it was, and if I trust one person on this green earth to give their opinion about potato salads – it’s him.
He has an ardent love for potato salad that began way before I met him and continues today. And he is selective, my friends. Can’t just pick up a carton of deli potato salad for this man. He likes the homemade stuff.
I can honestly say, I’ve never met another human being who loves potato salad as much as Brian. You may feel free to submit entries of your own, but I guarantee, he’ll win in the potato-salad-loving department.
The concept is simple, really. Instead of boiling potatoes for a classic potato salad (my husband’s absolute favorite traditional potato salad of all time), you bake up the potatoes, chill them and throw the slices together with classic baked potato toppings.
The result is an incredibly creamy, flavorful salad (hello, bacon!) with extremely simple ingredients.
I was skeptical this would all come together how I had pictured it in my mind. But it did. Phew! Not that my husband would have been shy about telling me where it went wrong, if it had.
He’s all about eliminating bad potato salads from existence one bad potato salad at a time. I’ve told him he should pick up golfing or something, but he’s attached himself to this cause and there’s no stopping him.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, baked, cooled and chilled
- ¾ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 4 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed small
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8-10 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- Slice the chilled, baked potatoes into about 1/2-inch slices, discarding any of the peels that fall off the potato (I left the peels that remained intact). Place the potatoes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk. Add the celery seeds, black pepper and salt. Mix. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and gently mix to combine. Some of the potatoes will lightly break into pieces, which is ok. Try to avoid mixing so heavily that the potatoes turn into mush.
- Add the cheese, green onions and bacon. Again, mix gently to combine. Cover the salad and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with additional green onions, if desired.