There is something about the classic caprese flavors (fresh basil, fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella) that just gets me. The flavors are fresh. And I could eat caprese-whatever-it-is all day. All day, every day. I love it. And it loves me.
This simple caprese salad which marinates in a delicious vinaigrette is undeniably divine served with slices of baguette or sourdough for scooping.
I mean, seriously, what could take basil, tomatoes and mozzarella over the top but slices of fresh, gluttonous bread.
I’ll be making and eating this salad all summer. I hope you will, too. (Thanks, Natalie, for the recipe!)
One Year Ago: Gourmet Green Salad with Homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Toffee Sugar Cookies
Three Years Ago: The Best Sloppy Joes
Marinated Caprese Salad
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced into bite-size pieces
- 4-5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- generous dash fresh ground black pepper
- Combine vinegar, garlic, salt, mustard, and pepper in small bowl or blender. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking or blending until oil is thoroughly emulsified and combined. In a wide, shallow dish, combine the tomatoes, cheese, and basil. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss to combine. Let the salad marinate covered in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- Serve the salad with slices of baguette (sourdough or regular) for scooping. You can also dice up the bread and toss it into the salad to create a sort of caprese panzanella salad.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: from Natalie B.