I love these oatmeal butterscotch bars because they are:
b) deliciously different from any other bar in my recipe repertoire.
c) amazingly tasty with the magic of butterscotch combined with the wonderful browned butter flavor and light oatmeal texture.
d) utterly irresistible.
Really. These bars were devoured faster than you can say “buttery butterscotch bars” five times fast. They are so light and chewy and yummy that I seriously dare you to eat just one.
And if your chocolate-loving heart is screaming “NO!” to the lack of chocolate…don’t fret.
These would be out of this world with an additional light drizzle of chocolate on top to make friends with the butterscotch glaze.
Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting the foil hang over the each short edge by one or two inches. Lightly grease the foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Place the 3/4 cup butterscotch chips in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and let the butter cook until golden brown in color, about 10 minutes, taking care not to burn. Pour the hot butter over the butterscotch chips and whisk together until melted and smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar until combined. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture, just until incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top, spreading the batter evenly to the edges. Bake the bars until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 16-18 minutes.
- While the bars bake, place the 1/4 cup butterscotch chips, brown sugar, water and salt in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the mixture until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes on 50% power. Whisk to combine well.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm bars. Let the bars cool completely in the pan. Remove the bars from the pan using the foil overhang and cut into squares. Serve.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from The Cook’s Country Cookbook