Snapshot Saturday: Some Favorites
Just popping in to share a few things that I’ve been really loving over the last few months. I feel like I wouldn’t be a good friend at all until you at least know about them. This list is random, quirky and a bit weird, but since that about sums up my personality, I think we’re good. (No affiliate links; just direct links to products I adore right now so feel free to shop around.)
1) My Aunt Marilyn and her family introduced us to Saboteur (a simple but super fun card game) while we were staying with them a few days prior to moving into our new house and we.are.hooked. Get your game face on because you might have to do a teeeeensy bit of misleading in order to win. We are the ultimate game lovers and this one has skyrocketed to the top of our list of favorites to play.
2) So I’ve spent the last few weeks wondering why on earth it took someone this long to come out with these reusable plastic storage lids for canning jars. Hello! Can we say revolutionize my life? No more rusting canning rings and yucky lids while the jars of delicious jam, syrup, peaches, you-name-it hang out in our fridge. These lids are pure dreaminess for the canning obsessed and can be reused time and time again.
3) I’m an extreme minimalist when it comes to makeup so it goes to figure I’m probably a latecomer to the 3-d fiber mascara party. I was a bit skeptical when my cousin Camille told me I had to try this Younique Mascara <—non-affiliate link to Camille’s website>, but hey, what girl doesn’t want longer lashes now and again, so I gave it a try and it’s pretty nifty stuff. I’d post a picture of my eyelashes but that would go against every fiber of my emotional being so you’ll just have to take my word for it. It works, ok? I don’t use it every day because I just can’t be bothered to take more than about 86 seconds to apply makeup in the morning, but from all the rave reviews it gets, there are some long-lashed, happy women out there using it daily (or more for all I know). I usually pull it out on Sundays when I get ready for church or if I’m actually leaving my house for a real, live appointment somewhere during the week. It’s so crazy how your lashes can go from short and stubby to long and luscious in just minutes. And if a total makeup lame-o (me) can figure it out, trust me, you are set.
4) After the mascara talk, this is going to seem ultra-boring, but let me tell you, this foot cream is utterly amazing. I’ve been putting a dab on my feet every night before bed since about April and never, ever in the history of ever have I gone through a summer (I wear flip flops all the live long day) without getting yucky, cracked heels. It isn’t fancy. It isn’t expensive. It doesn’t smell like cherry blossoms (actually it doesn’t smell like anything) but it is 100% the only stuff that has kept my feet so soft and smooth and I tell everyone I know about it because I’m a nerd like that. Please bless you never end up standing in the checkout line at Target next to me because I promise you, I’ll pull a muscle in my hamstring lifting my heel up to your face just so you can see firsthand what I’m talking about. I have the working hands cream, too, but usually don’ t have to pull that out until the winter when my fingers like to get all cracked and bleeding and I walk around saying “Poor, poor wittle Cinderella” while I rub it in.
5) A week or so ago my Aunt Jeanette (I have awesome aunts, what can I say) was in town and zoned my feet for me (have you ever had that done?). She’s amazing and is the one I run to when I have questions about essential oils. At the end of the zoning, she put lime and Balance on my feet and I…just…have no words. Ok, actually, I do (shocker). The combination is fabulous! Since then, I’ve been putting a drop of each of those oils in my foot cream (see #4) each night and I’m officially enamored with the combo. The scent is refreshing and clean and relaxing and my personal study has shown that I fall asleep about 1 1/2 seconds faster than normal. I am a moderate, equal opportunity EO customer (meaning, I like to do my research and buy from a variety of companies). I get my lime (and many of my other oils, actually) from Butterfly Express and Balance from doTerra.
6) I’ve been wearing these Jambu Blossom shoes all summer when I can’t find my flip flops (which usually turn up in Maggie’s doghouse whereupon I think unkind thoughts about our sweet pup) and can’t say enough about them. They are cool enough to wear on hot days, so comfortable you can wear them on an 8-mile walk straight out of the box (ok, I didn’t officially try that but my speculation and experience lead me to believe you’d be just dandy), and are so cute, you’ll get compliments every time you wear them. Just think what would happen if you wore these while sporting 3-d fiber lashes and smelling like lime. You go girl.
I can’t believe I made it through six favorites with nothing food-related. That’s a miracle and leaves me thinking I better just dedicate an entire future favorites list to food and cooking. Count on it.
56 Comments on “Snapshot Saturday: Some Favorites”
I absolutely love lists like these. We have used many of your toy posts in the past and hope you do one this year for Christmas.
You are so funny! I love your favorites lists, and hope to make the casserole recipe next week. It sounds like a more yummy and precise version of something I like to throw together already!
You’ve convinced me to trust you with feeding my family, so I figured you wouldn’t lead us astray in the family entertainment ring either. I ordered this game from Amazon this week. Looking forward to giving it a try! Our favorites lately have been the card sized games of the big box favorites like monopoly and sorry. They are still lots of fun, but quicker to squeeze in after supper on school nights. I feel like I’d need to block off a full week on my schedule to play the real monopoly.
jared – Love those recommendations for the quicker versions of monopoly and sorry, Jared. I didn’t know about either of those – thank you!
So we finally got around to playing Saboteur and we LOVED it! It took us a minute to get the gist of it, but once we got the ball rolling it was great fun. Thanks again for the great rec’s!
Mel, I think you should do a whole post on Essential Oils! I’ve been wanting to buy some, but I’m overwhelmed by all the brands & types that I don’t even know where to start. I’d love to hear more about which ones you prefer, and what you use them for! Just a suggestion 🙂
Not to usurp Mel, but I’ve been buying from Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com) – It is one of the few EO companies that does not do the multi-level marketing thing. They also have a full selection of containers and other stuff for making your own lotions and potions. I buy bulk herbs and spices as well. I am not affiliated, just a very happy customer. Aura Cacia is a brand available in good natural food places and has a good rep.
I do feel I bought too many EOs to start, but they last a long time. Still, if I had it to over, I’d consult with an herbalist first. There really is a lot of knowledge involved in using both oils and herbs.
I bought the O’Keefe’s hand cream as soon as I saw this and read Amazon reviews. I’ve had it a week and am using it on both hands and feet. I saw a difference the first day and by day 3 – OH, MY!! Thanks, Mel!
Voice of reason in using EOs! I thought I was banging that drum alone. Natural doesn’t mean use liberally or because your friend does. (Hey, monkshood is beautiful and natural!) It’s powerful stuff, just like any synthetic medicine is.
Enjoyed your post so much! How do you find the Jambu fit? True to size or somewhat small? Going to order online and wanted your thoughts first!!
Hi Eleanore – I would say they are pretty true to size. I wear between an 8 1/2 and a 9 and the 8 1/2 in the Jambu fits me perfectly. Hope that helps!
I reuse peanut butter and garlic plastic lids with my regular mouth mason lids – free and reduces your trash output – win win! Give it a try!
The foot cream is on my next Amazon order, & I agree about the canning lids, which have been in the old fashioned hardware stores for oh, about 20 years or so. I use the jars for all kinds of storage of refrigerated and dehydrated foods. And I REALLY NEED THAT FOOT CREAM!
Funny..I just was contemplating a pair of shoes with the strange name Jambu on them in a great little shoe shop in Anoka. I have some Keens that remind me of those shoes and I wear them all the time in the summer/fall (if we have a fall?!) and would like another pair.
Plastic caps: Here’s my tip: I started buying them from Amazon several years ago, and own that they’ve caught on, good ol’ Wally World even sells a generic set–for a fraction of what I originally paid. Fleet Farm is actually my favorite locale for canning stuff (sorry about that), which helps me avoid Wally World.
I spend about as much time on my makeup as you do…intriguing mascara tip. Although it also sounds kind of freaky. I buy food like you do and try to do similarly with other items, so I’m already thinking what on earth might I die of if the mascara really performs as advertised.
I’m a non-loyal EO user, too…I have a couple of DoTerra vials, but I usually buy from Mountain Rose–just as high quality, not nearly as high-priced. And their catalogs feature such delightfully crunchy folk living in Oregonian paradise, sipping tea and fingering fields of flowering lavender (lost the alliteration at the end there).
Those jar lids are very useful! In case you are not familiar, here are some other lids for mason jars — I really like the recap ones. They are useful for all kinds of things. Two of these are in the Kickstarter phase. I enjoy your blog!
Just ordered the foot cream:)
Do you use the cream and then wear socks at night? I don’t like to wear socks at night, too hot in Florida, but my heels are screaming for me to try the cream!
Bethany – Nope, I don’t put socks on after I rub in the cream. I can’t stand to wear socks at night – I think I’d die of claustrophobia of the feet. It’s not overly greasy so I think it works fine to apply it to my heels and then hop into bed.
Great post! Thank you for sharing! I bought the foot cream immediately and now really wan to get my feet zoned. And may buy the game before all is said and done too…
“But that would go against every fiber of my emotional being” – that really did make me LOL. I think you would be THE BEST AND MOST DELIGHTFUL dinner guest!
I’ve got to try that foot cream! And now that winter is setting in, the hand cream, too. As for the others, I love that I knew about (and use) almost everything else you posted! I don’t have the Jambu shoes, but have some J-41’s I got last year and LOVE, (they look VERY similar to Jambu’s). I wear them ALL the time. I’m going to have to get my feet zoned now–so I can better target my EO usage. 🙂
I can’t believe how much I love this! I don’t normally find these types of posts useful but I’m about to buy everyone of these things. I’m super excited about the card game!
Have you played the saboteur expansion game or just the original?
Ashlee – We’ve only played the original but my cousins were telling me the expansion is even more fun although I think it will be a little beyond my kids for a few years so we are sticking with the original for now.
Oh man I REALLY like the Red with Black Jute Storage Basket!
I have never heard of foot zoning, so I had to google it. It sounds very relaxing! I love it when you post your favorite lists, Mel! I’m off to shop! 🙂
Mel, I love this favorites list! I ordered the foot cream and the hand cream as I always always have dry hands and feet (even dry hands in the middle of the summer, but nothing like my old lady hands in the winter that are so bad I’m embarrassed to shake anyone’s hand!). Love it! I have thought about buying those reusable mason jar lids, but I was thinking they’d probably stain. But if you love them, then that’s good enough for me!
Nicole, I’ve been using them for several years for every kind of food you can put in a jar, and no stains thus far. However, it’s usually my containers–not lids–that get stained, since the food doesn’t touch the lids much. I’d say they don’t get any more stained than any other white plastic food container. (I have probably four sets or more, in regular- and wide-mouthed sizes–I really recommend them!)
I love favorites lists. Thanks!
Mel I absolutely love snapshot Saturday! Thanks for sharing your random loves. I’m with ya on the foot thing. My feet love flip flops. And they suffer! I’ll try out your cream. Keep up the fun Saturday pix. I love love love it!
What in the world is foot zoning? I am intrigued!
Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I had trouble with the links for the essential oils, the shoes, and the game. I either got 404 messages or account log-in pages. Thanks for the recommendations! Several of these are now on my wishlist. 🙂
Thanks for the heads up – the links should be fixed now!
Love this post and all your fun favorites. Have also been using those lids for years. They are so great for fridge storage – way better than the metal ones. I guess I just figured everyone knew about them – I ran across them in my Walmart at least nine years ago. I’m sorry I didn’t pass on the tip! Really want to try the foot cream, the mascara and the shoes. The shoes look like my Keens, only much cuter!
I have been using that foot cream for years! I ADORE it! I can’t live with out it and I too, tell everyone how amazing it is. It truly is a Miracle Cream! I am in flip flops about 300 days a year, so it is like a life saver to me!
Love the list Mel – I personally love the plastic lid mason jars -so handy!!
I second the request for you posting a list of your favorite games! Glad you wrote about the foot cream–my mom will love it.
I’m reading lots of reviews on the plastic lids that they are not for canning because they leak. What do you think?
Lafayette – I haven’t noticed any leaking (they aren’t meant to actually be canned with – to seal the jars – I just use them for storage in the refrigerator once I’ve opened up a sealed jar). Does that make sense?
I have been using the foot cream for a few years now and I cant live without it. Whenever I wear socks it goes on then also a little at night. Try using it with the Pedegg and you will have baby feet!
I LOVE those plastic canning jar lids…my favorite! I hate those metal lids in my fridge, all sticky and yucky. Totally agree with you on that…definitely worth buying.
We love game suggestions! Discovered Spot It Jr after your last toy post and it’s a favorite. I’ve had those plastic jar lids for years, not sure what I’d do without them!
Ok, Alisha – I’ll try not to be mad you didn’t tell me about the lids earlier.
Mel, the more I read you, the more I wish we were friends in real life! You are so cute, fun and real.
I love these posts! I have pinned many of these and will be purchasing!! You crack me up, Cinderella!!
I came here looking for the balsamic pork recipe and left with that, plus foot cream and both oils. I’ve been in the market for some essential oils, and well…can’t wait to use them 🙂
Heidi – that sounds like me when I go into Costco just for milk! 🙂
Story of my life! 🙂 You are my go-to whenever I need meal ideas, so I trust your judgment on everything else:) Really though, I used your barbecue meal plan for our youngest’s first birthday and it went so smoothly. Passed along your blog to the family because I obviously could not have pulled that off on my own – thanks again!!
I love lists! Thanks for the great info. I have a friend who sells Butterfly Express oils on her website for 20% off, if you are interested. Here is the website… http://store.saratogajacks.com/essential-oils/ The coupon code to use is saratogaoils . You can use it every time you purchase. She just wanted to make oils accessible to all. I love their oils. Have you smelled Intention? It’s like a creamsicle.
Love this post! My mostly barefoot feet will love you forever. And so excited over the plastic storage jar lids and can’t wait to try the mascara. You rock, Mel and thank you for all the wonderful things you put in my life. DoTerra are great oils and we use them a lot around here.
How about a favorite games list? The winters in Iowa are looooong and coooooold and we play A LOT of games. We have a lot of games but I still feel like I have played them all hundreds of times. So I am always asking people what their favorite games are.
The lids!!! Genius!
I’m a foot zoner! Isn’t it the best? And oils can do pretty awesome things.
Those shoes are adorable and that hand cream is coming to me. Take that iowa
We’re in Iowa too and that was the first thought I had when I saw the foot cream!
How cute are those shoes!? Also, I just need to say how much I love your color scheme. It makes me happy.