Peanut Butter Granola
This easy peanut butter granola recipe (with chocolate chips added in if you so desire) is yummy and so quick to make. Dreamy and delicious!
I am a granola fiend.
I eat it by the handfuls when no one or every one is looking, and 5 out of 7 mornings a week I spoon it onto a bowl full of yogurt. And I’m not the only one.
Brian loves the stuff, too, and has been known to pilfer the last jar of granola and take it to work without even a smidgeon of I’m-stealing-your-precious-granola-guilt.
Clearly, a container of granola sitting on a pantry shelf is not safe in my house (neither is Brian when I go after my morning breakfast ritual only to realize the travesty that has befallen leaving me alone and granola-less).
I have a few favorite granola recipes (this coconut/cashew version made with coconut oil is my granola BFF and this sweet and salty version isn’t too far behind) but I’ve been wanting to conquer a peanut butter version for a while now.
Apparently September is just the right time for peanut butter granola to be perfected. Don’t ask me why. I’ve learned not to question the whys, whens and wherefores of granola inspiration. All I know is it’s here and it’s yummy.
Not only is this peanut butter granola exceptionally simple, it’s particularly special if you are me and throw in a few mini chocolate chips after it’s all cooled off and ready to play nice with the chocolate.
Of course, that part is optional, but you may want to try it. Just once. Just to see. You know, so you can make a really educated decision about whether chocolate is truly necessary (I’m seriously biting every tongue I have not to shout out the only true answer to that conundrum).
Methinks it’s a great start to the weekend if a batch of this granola gets made, don’t you? I’ll be schlepping a long a big tub of it to all our soccer games tomorrow as a little pick-me-up (and I might even let the kids have some, too).
Peanut Butter Granola
- ⅓ cup (85 g) creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc)
- 3 cups (300 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup (85 g) mini chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- in a bowl (for the microwave) or in a saucepan (for the stove), combine the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, coconut oil and salt. Melt over low heat until the ingredients are smooth and well-combined.
- In a large bowl, toss together the nuts and oats.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until evenly coated – the overall granola mixture won’t be overly wet once combined so don’t fret.
- Spread the granola into an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing once or twice during the baking time.
- Let the granola cool on the baking sheet (it will get crispier as it cools). If desired, stir the mini chocolate chips into the granola after it has cooled completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Recipe Source: from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe