This is the second beautiful and refreshing drink I’m sharing this week, just in case you need beverage inspiration for the upcoming 4th of July holiday – or anytime, for that matter.
The flavors of this drink are a combination made in heaven, if you ask me. Pineapple, coconut, and strawberry with a slushy, creamy undertone combine into a magically delicious, cold and wonderful drink. I made this drink a few months ago during a really warm spell in our unusually hot spring and my kids were crazy for it (don’t worry, my version is non-alcoholic!). I shooed them outside to slurp in wild abandon while I stayed in the kitchen and finished off all the pitchers…with wild abandon, too. Don’t judge me. I was about 11 months pregnant at that time.
Although it does require three components of readiness (and subsequently will require a bit of washing afterwards), it is well worth it. Mighty delicious, this lava flow drink!
Note: I have always found the cream of coconut in the mixed drinks aisle (the cream of coconut is non-alcoholic). Refrigerate each component after blending to keep them really cold before assembling the drinks but don't make too far ahead because the icy components in a few of the steps will melt.
- 3 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) cream of coconut (like Coco Lopez brand)
- 1 cup half-and-half, fat-free or regular
- 24 ounces frozen strawberries in syrup, slightly thawed until slushy in texture
- Fresh pineapple for garnish, if desired
- In a blender, puree the slightly thawed strawberries with 1/2 cup water. The mixture should be syrupy and thick. Transfer to a liquid measure, bowl or pitcher and set aside. In a pitcher, whisk together the pineapple juice, cream of coconut and half-and-half. In a blender (washed from pureeing the strawberries), fill up halfway with ice. Pour in the coconut/pineapple mixture until it comes up to an even height with the ice. Blend until slushy (add more coconut/pineapple mixture if it is too thick to blend easily). Pour about an inch of the strawberry syrup mixture into a cup. Pour the icy coconut/pineapple mixture into the center of the strawberry mixture in the cup until the cup is filled. If desired, gently swirl the mixture with a straw. Garnish with fresh pineapple, if desired, and serve immediately.