Because I just spent the last two days driving over 24 hours from Montana to Minnesota to Wisconsin (stop being jealous, stop it!) and because my sweet little babe and endlessly patient husband had to endure that same driving stint and because I have less than a week before my house is packed up and moved and because I cried like a baby leaving my four rowdy rugrats at Grandma’s for a week (bless you, Grandma!) and because I’m just a regular mess of mascara-smeared anxiety and stress right now (seriously, I better stop now before all of you defriend me immediately), I’m going to simply say that this meal is so fantastically delicious, you need to make it. Like today.
Slow Cooker + unique and flavorful spices + tender chicken + crunchy fresh veggies = a perfect weeknight meal to kick off the start of the school year (for those that care about school years and fast dinners). If you feel the need to be a regular Betty Crocker, make your own pita bread, and this meal will go from great to really great. Wow. I’m killing myself with eloquent descriptions tonight. You get what I mean, though, right? Make this. It’s delish.
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 pita pocket breads, cut in half
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tomato, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
- In a slow cooker, combine the onion, garlic, chicken, lemon pepper, oregano, and allspice. Turn the chicken so that it is coated with the seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and onions from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Cover the chicken and onion mixture and keep warm. Whisk the yogurt into remaining juices/seasonings in the slow cooker. Spoon some of the chicken and onions into each pocket of the pita bread (or just place the chicken and onions on top of another round bread that can be rolled up, like this soft wrap bread or other flatbread). Top with tomato, cucumber and red pepper strips. Drizzle warm yogurt sauce on top and serve immediately.