This is how I’ve been boiling eggs for years and I’m sorry it’s taken until now to share the method with you. Please forgive me. That’s what happens when chocolate cake takes over your life. No time to share practical things like eggs.
Hard-boiled eggs are easy-peasy but there are a few tricks of the trade when it comes to peeling. If you want easier-to-peel eggs, don’t use fresh eggs. The older the egg, the better it will peel so buy your eggs a week or two in advance and let them sit in your fridge until ready to boil. Also, adding a bit of salt to the water while boiling supposedly helps and I’ve always employed this method, but be aware, there are lots of “I swear this works” out there when it comes to boiling/peeling eggs and I’ve learned my lesson that, really, 99% depends on the age of the eggs and the other 1% is salt, lots of cracking, and peeling them under warm water.
We make hard-boiled eggs at least once a week with our breakfast rotation and this is our tried-and-true method. No better time to share since the season of egg dyeing and deviled eggs is upon us!
A key component in easy-to-peel hard-boiled eggs is the age of the eggs. The older the better. So if you plan on boiling eggs, buy them from the store and keep them in your fridge for a week before boiling. It will make a huge difference - fresh eggs are a pain to peel.
- Cold water
- Place the eggs in the bottom of a saucepan and cover with cold water by at least an inch and add the salt (about 1 teaspoon salt for every 6-8 eggs). Heat the eggs uncovered over medium-high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. Immediately take the pan off the heat, cover and let sit for 15-17 minutes (the exact time will depend on how firm you like the egg yolk and the size of your eggs). I let large eggs sit for 16 minutes on the dot and they are perfect.
- While the eggs boil, make an ice water bath in a large bowl. When the eggs are done, scoop them out one by one with a slotted spoon and place them in the ice water bath to shock the eggs and shrink the membranes (discard the hot water in the pot). Leave them in the ice water bath for a few minutes. They can be stored in the refrigerator at this point or cracked and peeled.
- A few tips on peeling: crack the egg all over and start peeling at the base (the wider end) of the egg, getting your fingers underneath the membrane of the egg. Peeling them under a stream of slightly warm water seems to help, too.