Raise your virtual hand if you deal with food allergies – either for yourself or a family member. Anyone? Anyone?
I’m lucky enough to hibernate in my own home without having to give much thought to food allergies and I count my blessings every day because I have many, many friends who deal with everything from gluten allergies to egg allergies to nut allergies to dairy allergies (a few of them have the challenge of all of those at once!). I am never more hyper-aware of food allergies than when I am taking dinner to a family with food allergies and then I’m, like, a total freak, wiping my counter a hundred times with clorox wipes while cooking to avoid any potential cross-contamination and scouring ingredient lists to determine if I’m making something “safe.” To be honest, I actually like the challenge because it gives me a greater appreciation for what many of you probably do on a daily basis! And I have to say that my friends with allergies in their home cook extremely healthy, unprocessed recipes because they want to be doubly sure of everything that goes into their food.
Having said all of that, I made these egg-free chocolate chip cookies after spying them on Pinterest and I actually made them for my own family that are all safe and approved to eat eggs. I simply thought they looked delicious, egg-free or not! Cream cheese makes up the base of the dough (acting as a substitution for the eggs) and the resulting cookie is wonderfully soft and chewy with just the slightest, slightest hint of tangy cream cheese – a flavor I happen to adore. I’ve made these cookies several times now just for our personal eating pleasure! The bonus is that I can also safely bring them to several of my friends who have egg allergies…and how cool is it to see a child light up in happiness at finally having a “safe” cookie! Every kid needs to be able to eat cookies, in my opinion, allergies or not. I hereby applaud the egg-free cookie for all those who are allergic to eggs and can eat one of these babies!
So make these cookies! For you. For someone you know who is allergic to eggs. For whomever. They really are some of the yummiest chocolate chip cookies around, egg-free or not!
*Click HERE to enter the gift card giveaway, if you haven’t already – winners will be announced tomorrow!*
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment or silpat liners. In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, melted butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until mostly incorporated by a few dry streaks remain. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined and no dry streaks remain.
- Roll the dough into 1 to 1 1/2-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand (just barely press, you don't need to flatten it all the way). Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes until the edges are just barely golden brown. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe Source: adapted from here, found via Pinterest