I know that it’s, like, so 1980’s but I love breakfast burritos. Most the time the craving is satisfied by shoving scrambled eggs into soft tortillas, sprinkling on cheese and a drizzle of ketchup (did I just gross you out?) and call it good. But sometimes, I get the craving for The Breakfast Burrito. Like, the ultimate of all breakfast burritos. And happily, they aren’t a whole lot more work than the aforementioned throw-together solution.
The beauty is they are perfect for breakfast or dinner. In fact, if I had to confess, these best-of-all burritos would be right at the top of my list for fast and yummy meals that come to mind when dinner planning has been forgotten or readjusted or I’m just gagging at the thought of what I had originally planned (does anyone else get fickle like that?). Basically, you take a batch of these fabulous golden skillet potatoes, add in some creamy, soft scrambled eggs, flavorful sausage, spinach, cheddar cheese and a bit of seasoning and wrap it all up in a soft tortilla.
Love, love, love. I’m really thinking they should be renamed “My Favorite Anytime Burritos” because we have these 5X more often for dinner than we do for breakfast. Zero complaints no matter what they are called or when they are served. Oh, and a big plus is that usually, I make double so I can wrap the extra burritos in plastic wrap, store in the refrigerator (for 5 or so days) or in the freezer (for a month or so) and pull out to warm up quick for a simple breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack or whatever!
P.S. Have you entered the Smoke Vault giveaway? Go!
I like to use lean turkey sausage here but any type of sausage (the cook and crumble kind) can be used interchangeably based on preference. These burritos can be made ahead and wrapped individually in plastic wrap, stored in the refrigerator or freezer and warmed through as needed.
- 1/2 batch Golden Skillet Potatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons oil
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound breakfast/bulk sausage
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 burrito-size tortillas
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet (you can use the same one you used for the potatoes, just transfer the potatoes to a plate and use the skillet as is - no need to wash), heat the oil over medium heat and add the whisked eggs mixture. Cook the eggs over medium heat, stirring often, until soft and scrambled. Remove to a plate.
- Set the skillet over medium heat again and add the sausage, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook the sausage, crumbling into bite-sized pieces with a spoon, until no longer pink and cooked through. Drain the grease, if needed (I like to use lean turkey sausage that doesn't have a lot of excess grease). Add the potatoes and eggs back to the skillet along with the spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Add the cheese and stir until heated through and melted. Add salt and pepper to taste!
- Spoon the egg mixture into the burritos and roll up burrito-style. Serve immediately with salsa, if desired, or wrap individually in plastic and refrigerate or freeze for an easy breakfast or dinner!
Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe