I love lettuce wraps and have tried several recipes in my day (read: PF Chang Knockoff recipes). They were good, but very involved and time-consuming to make.
I saw this recipe on Our Best Bites and wanted to try it for simplicity’s sake. They were fantastic!
I made a few changes to make them less salty and a bit more to my family’s liking (as in, omitting the cabbage), and overall they were a huge hit.
The great thing about a recipe like this is you can alter it to your taste – more crunch? Add in another can of water chestnuts. More zing? Zest another lemon. Great concept, and talk about a light and delicious meal!
An Asian-inspired side salad like Asian Noodle Salad or this Asian Salad
Baked Southwest Egg Rolls with Creamy Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 cup minced mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, minced
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lemon, zested and then juiced.
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add minced garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute just until fragrant and then add in the ground chicken, minced mushrooms, and salt. Cook until turkey or chicken is cooked through.
- Add in the water chestnuts and green onions. Cook for a few minutes until cabbage starts to wilt. Add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, juice and zest from the lemon, and hot sauce. When everything is cooked through, remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, carefully separate the whole leaves from the lettuce. Wash the lettuce leaves and wrap them in paper towels and put them in the refrigerator so they are cold and crisp when serving. Spoon chicken filling onto the lettuce leaf and then roll it up and serve with dipping sauce below- or any other favorite Asian dipping sauce.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients and serve with lettuce wraps.
Recipe Source: adapted from Our Best Bites