*Update (10/2011): We continue to love this soup (and eat it often)! I’ve edited the recipe just a bit to enhance with a bit of salt and flesh out some of the details. Enjoy!
I could sum up this post by the following statement from my husband while devouring this meal: “This is the ultimate perfect dinner.”
Of course it could have been atmosphere since it had snowed all day and was the perfect night for soup, but still, when we were fighting over the last scoops in the pot, I knew this had to be a winner.
I received this recipe from a commenter, Liz, who has tried several recipes from here. Come to find out, after a few months of back and forth commenting, we figured out we went to high school together and went to the same church growing up.
What a small world – especially now that we both live several states away from where we grew up!
She mentioned the other day in an email that she had used the Italian Bread Bowl recipe for her broccoli cheese soup and her kids ate it up…plus it was a no-velveeta recipe.
Of course, I begged and pleaded for her recipe. While I don’t have anything against velveeta, I wanted a recipe with less processed flavors, and if my kids would eat it…then I knew it would be a keeper.
This soup was incredible, and sure enough, my kids ate it with minimal fuss even with the broccoli. I was quite pleased (shocked, actually, but then quite pleased). It’s since became one of our family’s favorite soups of all time!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or extra sharp
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped, lightly steamed or blanched broccoli
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- 6. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in seamed broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls.
To make my life easier, while the soup is coming together, I put the chopped broccoli in a large glass bowl, cover with saran wrap and microwave for about 3-4 minutes. It cooks perfectly and just in time to add it to the soup.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted very slightly from my friend, Liz K.