This no-velveeta homemade broccoli cheese soup is sure to win you over! The soup is simple and incredible and comes together quickly.
I could sum up this post by the following statement from my husband while devouring this meal: “This is the ultimate perfect dinner.”
Of course it could have been the atmosphere since it had snowed all day and was the perfect night for soup, but still, when we were fighting over the last scoops in the pot, I knew this had to be a winner.
I received this recipe from a commenter, Liz, who has tried several recipes from here. Come to find out, after a few months of back and forth commenting, we figured out we went to high school together and went to the same church growing up.
What a small world – especially now that we both live several states away from where we grew up!
She mentioned the other day in an email that she had used the Italian Bread Bowl recipe for her broccoli cheese soup and her kids ate it up…plus it was a no-velveeta recipe.
Of course, I begged and pleaded for her recipe. While I don’t have anything against velveeta, I wanted a recipe with less processed flavors, and if my kids would eat it…then I knew it would be a keeper.
This soup was incredible, and sure enough, my kids ate it with minimal fuss even with the broccoli. I was quite pleased (shocked, actually, but then quite pleased). It’s since became one of our family’s favorite soups of all time!
FAQs for Broccoli Cheese Soup
It turns a little grainy after being frozen due to the cheese, but it reheats pretty well (texture is slightly less creamy).
I’d recommend cooking it on the stovetop and transferring it to a slow cooker to keep it warm (only for an hour or so – it might lose it’s smooth texture if in there too long!)
This soup won’t curdle as long as you moderate the heat well. It’s very smooth and creamy; not as artificially smooth as Velveeta recipes – it has a little texture from the roux.
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or extra sharp
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped, lightly steamed or blanched broccoli
- Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in steamed broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls.
Broccoli: to make my life easier, while the soup is coming together, I put the chopped broccoli in a large glass bowl, cover with saran wrap and microwave for about 3-4 minutes. It cooks perfectly and just in time to add it to the soup.
Recipe Source: adapted very slightly from my friend, Liz K.