What do you get when you take a cold, Northern climate dotted with a small yellow house filled with sick, lethargic kids needing lots of cuddle time from a tired, feeling under-the-weather-herself mommy?
Let me tell you. You get a lot of warm, little bodies snuggling together on the blanket-laden couch drowning their sniffly worries in cheesecake stuffed chocolate chip cookie bars, PBS for Kids, and tissues. Lots of tissues.
It’s been a long week and it’s only Wednesday. I’m off to play nursemaid. But you? You should definitely make these bars. They are amazingly, tremendously, awfully wonderful.
Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer:
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X13-inch pan with aluminum foil and lightly coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For the cookie layer whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour, salt and baking soda, folding into the dough with a rubber spatula; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips until combined. Press half of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan. It will be a thin layer, so use lightly moistened hands to press the dough into a thin even layer, filling in any holes with a bit of cookie dough from the bowl.
- For the cheesecake filling, mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar together with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined. Spread the cheesecake filling over the layer of cookie dough in the pan.
- Using the remaining cookie dough, flatten tablespoon sized amounts of cookie dough in your hands into flat disc shapes, about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Place these discs over the top of the cheesecake layer, pressing very lightly to adhere them to the cheesecake layer. It’s ok if there are small spaces; the entire top doesn’t need to be completely covered just make sure it is mostly covered with cookie dough.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled, 1-2 hours. Cut into squares and serve. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!