What? Huh? Homemade vanilla ice cream without an ice cream maker? No way, you say.
Yes way, I say!
And it still manages to be creamy, light (in texture, people, not calories!) and absolutely delicious.
Just wait until tomorrow when you see what I served it with. Heavenly summer dessert.
Magic Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ounce white chocolate chips (for best result use Ghirardelli or Guittard brand – white chocolate varies greatly from brand to brand!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the sweetened condensed milk and the white chocolate until the chocolate melts, about 1 minute on 50% power. Stir. If the chocolate isn’t completely melted, microwave for 20 second intervals at 50% power until the mixture is combined. Set aside and let the mixture cool. When cooled, stir in the vanilla, salt and sour cream. Blend well.
- In another bowl, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes. Whisk 1/3 of the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold the rest of the whipped cream into the white chocolate gently until it is fully incorporated.
- Place the mixture in an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or up to 2 weeks. If you are going to store the ice cream for several days before serving, press plastic wrap or wax paper directly on the surface of the ice cream before freezing it.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: from Cook’s Country June/July 2010