Simple as simple can be (and so fast to prepare and cook!), the chicken in this recipe is broiled lightly and then topped and broiled again with a creamy, delicious mixture made even more sultry and tasty with the addition of fresh lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and a few simple spices.
The resulting chicken is extremely juicy and tender and infused with all the bright, refreshing flavors of the Parmesan and lemon topping. If you haven’t become one yet with your broiler, I encourage you to do so. Using the piping hot broiler element will amplify the number of ways chicken can shine at dinnertime and as long as you keep a close eye while the chicken is broiling (now is not the time to start painting toenails, painting bedroom walls, or painting watercolors with your children, catch my drift?) and ensure it doesn’t overcook, success can be yours.
Welcome another quick and delicious weeknight chicken dinner into your rotation!
Note: If the chicken breasts I am using are on the thicker side, I like to slice them lengthwise to form two thinner chicken cutlets. It helps the flavor infuse into every bite and they cook more evenly.
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Stir in the dried basil, pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer on the prepared pan. Lightly season each side of the chicken with salt and pepper. Broil a few inches from the broiler element for 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and broil for a 3-4 more minutes, until mostly cooked through. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread an equal amount of the Parmesan mixture over the top of each chicken breast. Broil for another 2-3 minutes until the topping is golden and bubbly and the chicken is completely cooked through. Serve.