The perfect summer meal? I think so! These grilled lemon chicken wraps with spicy garlic sauce are not only super simple to make, the flavors are completely out of this world.
Let’s talk about these simple and absolutely delicious lemon chicken wraps. I could eat this lineup every day for the rest of forever – it’s totally my style of food.
The flavors are downright incredible without being overly fussy and complicated, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I get super happy whenever this meal is on the docket.
As in, I think it’s impossible to have a bad day when I know I’m going to be eating this for dinner. Is that weird? Or just a really good coping skill?
This recipe is seriously as easy as marinating the chicken for a bit, slapping it on the grill and then piling the tender, juicy chicken pieces on flatbread with lettuce, tomatoes and the most delectable spicy (or not) garlic sauce you’ve ever met.
The whole combination is heavenly.
It actually makes the whole issue of what do I love best about this recipe more complicated.
The chicken? Flatbread? Sauce? HOW WILL I EVER CHOOSE? I know. My life is suuuuuper hard.
If you haven’t made this homemade flatbread, now might be the time.
It’s so easy to make (perfect for newbie and/or expert bread makers), and I can’t even describe the sense of joy I feel if I’m lucky enough to sneak a fresh flatbread hot off the griddle (bonus points if it’s slathered in butter prior to devouring) without my kids noticing.
I make a lot of bread, but flatbread is easily one of my favorite homemade breads to make.
Whenever I make it, I double or triple the recipe because the cooked flatbread freezes great and makes an already simple meal like these grilled lemon chicken wraps even simpler (and yummier).
Having said that, we all know that life is life, so don’t beat yourself up if homemade flatbread isn’t in your future. Buy it and cut the guilt.
Summer dinner simplified! It’s right here in these grilled lemon chicken wraps. Make ’em!
Grilled Lemon Chicken Wraps with Spicy Garlic Sauce
Chicken + Wraps:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (about 1 1/2 teaspoons or so), finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (from about 1-2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Bamboo or metal skewers for grilling
- 4 to 6 flatbread or pita bread wraps (storebought or homemade)
- 2 to 3 cups spring lettuce mix (or baby spinach)
- Sliced tomatoes
Spicy Garlic Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic (a heaping teaspoon), finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha/hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (a couple teaspoons)
- For the chicken, place the cubed chicken in a flat dish or in a gallon ziploc bag.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and paprika. Pour over the chicken, toss to coat, and cover the dish (or seal the bag) and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour or up to 8 hours.
- Thread the chicken pieces on metal or bamboo skewers and grill on medium-high, flipping halfway, until the chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes total.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- For the garlic sauce, combine all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth (you can also whisk together in a bowl). I like to pour the mixed sauce into a squeeze bottle for easy serving. Refrigerate until ready to serve; the sauce can be made a week ahead of time.
- To serve, place lettuce greens down the center of each wrap, followed by slices of tomato, grilled chicken and a healthy drizzle of spicy garlic sauce.
If you’re a garlic lover, feel free to step it up and add more garlic to both the marinade and the sauce.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from this recipe at The Cozy Apron