**If you missed the post on menu planning from yesterday, click here!**
Seeing as how I’ve been keeping up this here blog for nigh on three plus years now (that’s crazy!), there are a lot of recipes deep in the archives that need a little facelift. New picture. Updated details. Etc, etc. So occasionally as I remake the old recipes we love most, I’ll try and snap a new picture to actually give the food justice and then I update the old post with the new picture.
However, there are a few instances in which I stumble across an old recipe that I’ve forgotten I ever posted in the first place and realize it deserves a whole new blog post. These chocolate chip toffee bars are no exception. I posted them nearly two years ago and they are so delicious and are made so often around here, that in honor of them, instead of just updating an old picture, I’m highlighting them anew.
These are hands down one of my favorite bar desserts to bring to potlucks, BBQ’s and the like. A chocolate chip cookie-like crust is topped with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, toffee bits, morsels of the same dough that adorns the crust and is baked until bubbly and golden.
Once cooled, these bars are some of the most irresistible to pass through my kitchen. Here’s to you, Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars!
P.S. Just so you know, I’m off on a 10-day vacation with my little family. We are headed from the midwest out to the coast to visit my in-laws. I’m hoping my boys survive the excitement of visiting a “real” beach. So if I’m a little slow in responding to emails and comments, that’s why. Please continue to love me during the delay!
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, soft
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package toffee bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X13-inch pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture is crumbly. Add eggs and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Mix in 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips and the 1 cup nuts, if using. The mixture will be fairly stiff, so again, you may need to use your hands to get everything combined.
- Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the dough. Press the remaining dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust. Top with all but 1/4 of the toffee bits. Pinch pieces of the reserved dough and scatter over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake for 25-30 more minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup toffee bits on top. Cool completely before serving.
Recipe Source: adapted from Kara’s Kitchen Creations