Where has this quinoa salad been all my life?
I haven’t played around much with quinoa since this salad (which is utterly fantastic) so when my friend, Allyson, brought this particular Mango and Black Bean Quinoa dish to a church activity, I was excited to try it. You know…broaden my quinoa horizons a bit. So try it, I did.
And after being blown away by the tremendous yumminess, I quickly spread the word around to the other ladies that the salad was absolutely horrific and inedible so I could eat the rest myself. Ok, so I didn’t really do that because it would be rude. But I wanted to. And might still if I ever see this salad at another function. Just watch me.
As much filler food as quinoa, the crunchy red peppers, hearty black beans, snappy green onions, fresh cilantro and sweet mango add texture and flavor that combine perfectly. A simple red wine vinaigrette moistens the salad and lends a deliciously tangy component to the already tasty and healthful salad.
Surprisingly, my not-so-adventurous husband loved this. I’m telling you, the way this salad all comes together makes it utterly irresistible.
For me, it was the mango that brought it to the next level. I was hunting for those bits of juicy sweetness that offset the other savory ingredients perfectly. It’s glorious, my friends, just glorious.
P.S. Love me tender, even though I might not answer your emails and questions as quickly as normal – I’m on vacation with my family and will be checking in less frequently for a few more days.
Mango and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooked in vegetable or chicken broth, at room temperature or chilled
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Whisk until the dressing is smooth and pour on top of salad. Toss to combine and add salt and pepper (add more to taste if desired). Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving.
The recipe calls for cooked quinoa. I used about 3/4 cup dry quinoa and cooked it in chicken broth to get the 2 cups cooked (I measured out the two cups cooked and had a bit leftover in the pot).
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!