Don’t hate me for wondering if the texture and flavor of classic and delicious 7-layer bars could be transferred into cookie form. These are the types of things that keep me up at night and I knew I wouldn’t get a lot of rest until a 7-layer cooke recipe had been made, perfected and of course, quality-control tested.
With a one track mind to perfecting a 7-layer cookie, I went straight to one of the oldest cookie recipes on my site – these Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies. Have you made them? I’ve never met a softer, chewier cookie. They are unique and absolutely delicious (egg-free, the base of the cookie is built upon graham cracker crumbs and sweetened condensed milk).
Since that ancient recipe already started with two of the staples for 7-layer bars, I had a feeling they’d morph quite well into a true blue 7-layer cookie. And my gut feeling was right.
These chewy little creamy cookies packed with coconut and chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs and butterscotch chips (and nuts if that’s your thing) are unbelievably yummy. I’ve made them several times now and in an effort to unload the goodness on others and not save it all for my hips alone, each time I take them somewhere, they become the star of the show (relegating poor unfortunate plain ol’ brownies to the back of the table).
You’ll have to make them yourself if you want to really believe me. They are more than your everyday chocolate chip cookie stuffed full of 7-layer ingredients. They are a magical 7-layer cookie, that’s what they are. Chewy, soft and absolutely fabulous.
The recipe can be easily halved (or doubled!).
- 3 cups (13.5 ounces) graham cracker crumbs (about 27 rectangles finely crushed)
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces, 2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- 2 cups (12 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 2 cups (7 ounces) sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer (handheld or a stand mixer), cream together the sweetened condensed milk, butter and vanilla until creamy. Add the dry ingredients with the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut. Mix until combined.
- Scoop the dough into heaping tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Recipe Source: adapted from my much-loved Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies recipe after I got the hankering for a 7-layer bar in cookie form