These sugar cookie bars? Well, they are phenomenal. The glorious goodness of sugar cookies in bar form. And that in itself is truly brilliant. I adapted my favorite-sugar-cookie-of-all-time for these babies and I may never go back to chilling, rolling and cutting. Ok, actually, I will, because sugar cookies have a special place in my heart. But if you don’t want to chill, roll or cut, these sugar cookie bars are for you. They are perfect for a sugar cookie fix that needs to be satisfied nearly immediately and talk about a stinking cute treat to bring to a potluck or to a friend or surprise kids after school. Your fellow potluckies and friends and kids will love you forever.
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened to cool room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
- Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press and/or spread the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes. Don't overbake! The bars shouldn't have any color around the edges and barely be set in the middle. Let the bars cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, cream together the butter and powdered sugar until smooth (if the mixture has trouble coming together, add a drop or two of milk). Add in the vanilla and mix. Add the milk or cream and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy. Add food coloring, if desired.