Cream Cheese Chicken Vegetable Soup
This lightened-up cream cheese chicken vegetable soup is delicious and creamy and full of hearty vegetables and tender chicken. One of our favorites!
Creamy, hearty, and absolutely delicious, this cream cheese chicken vegetable soup is amazing. Like, amazing amazing.
It’s not fancy. And it’s not necessarily impressive if you’re just sitting there staring at it, but one taste, and you’ll be won over.
Chock full of vegetables and tender chicken, it is a one-stop solution for a soup that’s simple, tasty and filling.
This creamy soup has been a family favorite for years.
It’s on repeat during the cooler fall and winter months, and I found out pretty quickly that my family far and above prefers thick and creamy soups to any other.
Which means this delicious cream cheese chicken vegetable soup is always a winner.
And it’s become a go-to option for when I’m taking dinner into someone. Always a hit!
A trio of vegetables (onions, celery, carrots) cooks for a quick minute before broth and potatoes are added.
Everything simmers until the potatoes are tender. Give or take, that’s about 10 minutes. So we’re already winning at the fast dinner game.
In goes the milk + flour mixture and then the softened cream cheese.
I interrupt this soup making memo to say that you can further simplify this recipe by blending the milk, flour and cream cheese together until smooth and adding it all together.
Let it cook and thicken for a few minutes before stirring in the chicken.
And that’s it!
The most amazing cream cheese chicken vegetable soup.
Have you made this? Do you love it as much as we do? I hope so! Here are a few other rave reviews:
Heather: Made this tonight and it was delicious and perfect for this fall weather in Minnesota!!
Meg: Just wanted to say that this soup has remained a favorite at our house, and it’s so funny because my husband and son really don’t like soup very much, but they both love this one! Tonight I used half the cream cheese and it still was super delicious. This recipe has good bones;)
What To Serve With This:
Buttery Pull-Apart Bundt Bread
Green salad or fresh fruit
Cream Cheese Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion, about 1 medium onion
- ½ cup small diced celery, about 2 stalks
- ½ cup small diced carrots, about 1-2 medium carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups chicken broth, I use low-sodium
- 2 ½ to 3 cups peeled and small diced potatoes, about 2-3 medium potatoes (see note)
- 1 cup milk, I use 2%
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 (8-ounce) package regular or light cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes, until the veggies are slightly tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a liquid measuring cup, vigorously whisk the flour and milk together until smooth (or blend in a blender). Whisk the mixture into the soup, stirring quickly, and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the soup begins to thicken slightly. Stir often to ensure the soup doesn’t burn.
- Add the softened cream cheese to the soup in 1-inch pieces. Let the cream cheese sit in the soup and warm through completely before stirring until smooth.
- Add the cooked chicken and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Recipe Source: from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Recipe originally published in 2008; updated in May 2020 with new photos, recipe notes, etc.