*Just a quick note that I’ve updated my sidebar favorites (over there to the right) with some of my favorite summer recipes. Enjoy!*
Please meet my new, favorite fruit salad. Well, actually, it isn’t so new to me because I’ve been enjoying it since Christmas Eve (part of our holiday dinner meal), but I’m finally getting around to sharing it with you, just like the mushroom lasagna that was part of the festivities.
Don’t be deceived by the obvious simplicity, this fruit salad, made up of only three main fruits, manages to completely defy deliciousness every time I make it. And the secret is in the simple step of preparing what sounds complicated but is the exact opposite: a lime-ginger reduction that adds a glorious, syrupy glaze to the beautiful combination of honeydew, blueberries and mangoes.
The lime and ginger compliment the classic fruits in a way that literally leaves my taste buds singing (thanks to the lime!) and my tummy rejoicing.
Seriously delicious, you should strongly consider making this fresh fruit salad part of your summer recipe staples. Think how astounding it could be at a BBQ potluck (or simply as a quick snack in your fridge!).
Honeydew, Blueberry and Mango Salad with Lime-Ginger Reduction
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest from 4 limes (zest limes before juicing)
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (from the 4 grated limes and an additional 3-4 limes as needed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch table salt
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 small honeydew melon, seeds and rinds removed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- In a small, heavy-bottomed non-reactive saucepan, simmer the lime juice, sugar, and salt medium-high heat until syrupy, honey-colored, and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lime zest, ginger, and lemon juice. Let the mixture sit and steep for 5 minutes. Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer. Combine the honeydew, mangoes and blueberries in a medium bowl; pour the warm dressing over and toss. Serve immediately at room temperature or cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate up to 4 hours, and serve chilled.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Cook’s Illustrated