Delicious Parmesan Cream Corn
This simple but amazing Parmesan cream corn side dish is a Thanksgiving must-have. Sweet corn swimming in a creamy Parmesan sauce? Bring it on.
I am loving all the comments on this post earlier in the week about what’s on your Thanksgiving menu.
I could read stuff like that for days on end! It’s so fun to see what foods/recipes have become tradition for other people, and it’s interesting to find out how and why some of these dishes have to be part of your Thanksgiving.
No really, like have to. I can tell that for many of you, eliminating them from the lineup could create a very hostile environment.
If I’m being honest (don’t cringe!), I’m often the one who wants to turn Thanksgiving on its head every year and do something completely untraditional, like maybe take the Thanksgiving classics and put a Mexican-style spin on them, or perhaps do an all-out homemade pasta or pizza lineup, or maybe get really crazy and grill salmon.
But I can never really convince myself (or my family) to fully get on board with it, even on those years where we’ve celebrated alone since we don’t live by family (and our friends have deserted us).
The truth is, turkey (while I love it; it’s one of my favorite parts of the traditional Thanksgiving meal) isn’t that exciting. And some of the old stand-by’s I could take or leave (sorry green bean casserole, I’m talking to you).
But Thanksgiving is more than just the actual recipes.
It’s the feelings behind them and the sense of tradition they bring. The anticipation of the Thanksgiving meal is almost as wonderful as the actual meal (and certainly more exciting than the cleanup), and that’s what I love.
Reading through your comments has made me really think about what food traditions my kids will take with them after they leave my home. Sorry to get all sentimental on you, but I love these types of conversations.
I am certain (dead certain) that this Parmesan cream corn is going to be one of those have-to-haves from here on out. Brad and Cass (bro- and sis-in-law) brought it to a large, extended family Thanksgiving last year, and I kid you not, it totally stole the show.
No one even cared about dessert because this cream corn is so ridiculously amazing!
It’s the type of thing you don’t think you really crave or need in your life until you eat it, and then you find yourself obsessed with the idea of making it every day for the rest of forever.
It is sooooo good.
And extremely simple to make. If you are looking for the perfect side dish this Thanksgiving, this Parmesan cream corn should skyrocket to the top of the list.
I know I’ve waxed poetic before about this fabulous confetti corn dish…and today’s cream corn recipe is right up there in deliciousness.
The yumminess of this cream corn is out of control.
Delicious Parmesan Cream Corn
- 5 cups frozen or fresh white or yellow corn kernels
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until the butter is melted.
- In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the milk and flour until smooth (can also blend to avoid any lumps).
- Add the milk mixture to the corn, stirring quickly, and cook over medium heat until the creamed corn is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir until melted. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve. The creamed corn will thicken as it cools. It can be kept warm on low in a slow cooker (or in the oven at 200 degrees) for up to an hour before serving.
Recipe Source: Parmesan cream corn from my brother- and sister-in-law, Brad and Cass, originally from Cass’ sister, Chelsea A. (looks like it probably came by way of AllRecipes)