You don’t have to say giant cookie twice to get my attention. Why on earth wouldn’t I love a life-sized chocolate chip cookie?
From the ever-reliable and faithful, Aunt Marilyn, who got the recipe from her friend Elnora, who got it from a friend (quite a recipe trail)…this giant cookie has quite the legacy.
Famous at bake sales, selling for around eight dollars a cookie, these confections are simple, simple, simple and so very popular.
I’ve made this giant cookie no less than six times – once topped with M&M’s, another time made with peanut butter chips in the dough, and many other versions.
It’s versatile and can be tailored in so many ways. It makes a perfect thank you, a welcome for a new neighbor, a bake sale treat, and on and on.
So what are you waiting for, make a giant cookie today!
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Add the egg and vanilla and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Line a large (11X17-inch) baking pan with foil and press the cookie into a circle. I press my cookie into a 9-inch circle, about 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick. When it bakes, it spreads to about 11 inches, which fits perfectly onto a 12-inch round cardboard circle you can find at most craft stores.
- If desired, top the cookie with M&M’s or any other garnishes. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the cookie is lightly golden brown. Let the cookie cool completely on the baking pan – this helps the cookie stabilize and set so it can be easily lifted off the pan. Once cool, gently use the foil to lift the cookie off the pan.
Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens!
Recipe Source: adapted from Aunt Marilyn’s friend, Elnora, who got it from a friend!