A delicious homemade lime and cilantro vinaigrette takes this Mexican chopped salad from great to absolutely amazing! Serve it as a side dish or main dish!
I tend to gravitate to people who are honest, laugh at my jokes, and willingly share recipes. That last one is kind of a deal breaker.
You might have all the attributes of longterm BFF, but if you hoard recipes, I’m out of there.
Sharing is caring. And I’m super curious to know – are you a recipe sharer? And second question, how do you feel when people aren’t willing to share recipes?
My friend, Hollie, known for her food (hint: this Russian Cream recipe), is a recipe giver. I love her for more reasons than that, but it’s pretty high up there.
This Mexican chopped salad is hers, and it is phenomenally delicious.
In fact, I believe she made it a couple months ago to feed a crowd of 100 and it was raved about for weeks.
Simple as can be, it has quickly become one of my favorite salads and is one of those endearingly versatile salads that can easily be served as a side dish (alongside these Smothered Sweet Pork Burritos perhaps?) or transitioned into a main dish with a simple addition of grilled chicken (would be so tasty with a side of cornbread also; yum).
One of the ingredients that makes this salad stellar, special, and a little crunchy is the jicama. Don’t be scared if you’ve never used it. Here’s a great starter guide for all things jicama.
I promise, it’s easy to work with, widely available, and adds a yummy texture and flavor. You might find yourself wanting to snack on it forever more.
Mmmm, I love jicama. And I love this salad.
- 2-3 medium romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup frozen corn, thawed (or fresh corn kernels)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup peeled and chopped or sliced jicama
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cubed cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Diced avocados (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a jar or blender and shake/process until well-combined. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad to taste or serve on the side.
Serving Options: this makes a delicious main dish salad served with grilled chicken (on the side or chopped and added to the salad). Also, another delicious addition is crispy tortilla strips on top (think crouton, only Mexican salad style).
Versatile Ingredients: the ingredients for the salad (and really the dressing, too) are versatile. Play around with them to suit your tastes!