Black and White Holiday Bark
You can’t go wrong with this black and white holiday bark- it is insanely easy, fun to share, and so crazy delicious!
Believe it or not, I’ve been waiting an entire year to share this recipe with you. Oh, the self-control! I amaze myself.
I made it, like, the day after Christmas last year or something. Don’t ask me why. I think I was thumbing through my Recipes To Try binder (which is enormously overcrowded) and found this. And decided I had to make it NOW.
Even though the holidays were officially over. Your guess is as good as mine as to why I thought hadn’t consumed enough sugar already through the holiday season. Clearly, I felt I needed more.
And this holiday bark was so delightfully simple, I nearly cried that I was going to have to wait a whole year to tell the world about it. Here’s the thing, not only is it easy, but it is so delicious, it kind of leaves you going, “hmmm, what is IN this that makes it so awesome?” Here’s the secret ingredient: rice krispies. Don’t be a doubter! It works.
The dark chocolate is topped with a mixture of white chocolate, rice krispies and dried cranberries and that little bit of texture and crunch from the rice cereal seriously puts these over the top. Then you add the tart sweetness of the cranberries and wow…stellar.
You can’t go wrong with this stuff. It is insanely easy and so crazy delicious, I’m afraid you are going to seriously resent me for taking this long to share it with you. It’s ok, I still love you.
See all of this year’s Sugar Rush treats HERE.
Black and White Holiday Bark
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup dried cranberries, divided
- 1 pound white chocolate, chopped (do not substitute white chocolate chips)
- Line an 8X8-inch or 9X9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing the foil to extend over the sides, and set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of the chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, scraping down the sides. Continue microwaving at 30 second intervals, still at 50% power, until small lumps remain. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Spread the chocolate into the prepared pan and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate using the same method as the dark chocolate, keeping in mind that white chocolate melts at a lower temperature than dark chocolate so take care not to scorch it. When the white chocolate is completely melted, stir in the rice krispies and 1/2 cup of the cranberries until everything is evenly mixed. Spread this mixture over the chilled chocolate mixture in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cranberries over the top. Chill for 30 minutes, until the white chocolate layer is set.
- Melt the 2 or 3 reserved tablespoons of dark chocolate in the microwave and transfer to a small ziploc bag, making sure to pour it all into one corner of the bag. With the pan of bark right in front of you, snip a tiny corner off the bag where the chocolate is and drizzle it over the top of the bark. Let the bark sit for 10 minutes until the drizzle is set. Remove the bark from the pan by lifting up on the foil. Carefully peel the foil away. Cut the bark into squares with a sharp knife. The bark will keep, well-covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from America’s Test Kitchen Holiday Cookies 2010