The Best Chicken Fajitas
These are the BEST chicken fajitas ever. Out-of-this-world fajita flavor and healthy to boot. Try these soon, you will not be disappointed.
It seems a bit presumptuous to call something “the best,” doesn’t it?
But I couldn’t resist, because these really are the best fajitas in the world. The entire world. No, wait, the entire galaxy.
Because I have an obsession with trying new recipes, I am always on the lookout for different versions of the same thing. I mean, look how many chocolate chip cookie recipes I have on here – and I love every single one. And rolls? Don’t even get me started.
But when it comes to these fajitas, I will not try another recipe. Them are strong words…but that is just how much we love this one.
This is in the top three of my husband’s favorite meals (right up there with sweet and sour chicken) and although I hesitate to nail down my own favorite meals, this is definitely up there in the ranks.
Amid all the new recipes I try each month, this recipe still makes a regular appearance and nearly bowls me over with it’s phenomenal flavors each time.
The Best Chicken Fajitas
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice, about 3-4 limes
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts, (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red or orange pepper, cut into thin strips
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon fresh lime juice, a quick squeeze of a cut lime
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade ingredients over the top. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
- After marinading, take chicken out of the bag and discard the marinade. Grill or broil the chicken 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from grill or pan and tent with foil to keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the vegetables in the skillet.
- Serve immediately with flour tortillas and top with tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, sour cream…the options are endless!
Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe/originally from Erin W.