White Chicken Chile Enchiladas

Update 10/2015: After years and years living here on my site, these favorite chicken enchiladas needed a facelift. Hello new pictures! And also, I’ve included a few additional notes in the recipe about variations, substitutions and a few tips to make the recipe easier (and dare I say yummier?).

Growing up, my mom made enchiladas for dinner a lot. A lot, a lot. And it wasn’t until college that I realized chicken enchiladas are sometimes, often, usually made with red sauce. What?!? Creamy white chicken enchiladas were all I knew. My existence revolved around them. (P.S.: It wasn’t until this divine red sauce version came into my life that I finally admitted, just slightly, that red sauce enchiladas should even be players in the enchilada field.)

White Chicken Chile Enchiladas

Over the years I’ve tweaked my mom’s fabulous recipe to use a really simple homemade white sauce and I’ve added tender white beans and a touch of creaminess to the chicken and green chile filling. Despite all the glorious food and millions of recipes that haunt my dreams begging me to make them, these delicious enchiladas still make at least a monthly appearance around here. To be honest, I’m pretty sure my family would revolt if I were to do something questionable like pull them from the menu. They’re good. Really good. That’s what I’m saying.

White Chicken Chile Enchiladas
What To ServeTortilla chips and Balsamic Black Bean Salsa
Garnishes such as lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, extra cheese, or cherry tomatoes
Summer Corn Salad

One Year Ago: Garlic Tuna Pasta with Asparagus
Two Years Ago: The Best Sloppy Joes

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Yield: Serves 6

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

UPDATE: over the years as I've continued to make this enchilada recipe at least monthly, I've tweaked just a few things. I've added notes to the ingredients below but basically, I always add chopped, fresh cilantro to the filling + a squeeze of fresh lime juice. You can leave either or both out if you don't prefer them. Also, the green enchilada sauce can easily be replaced by salsa verde (Herdez is my favorite brand) or with this simple homemade version.

• 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (a rotisserie chicken works great here or this simple method for quick, cooked shredded chicken)
  • 2 cans (4-ounces each) green chiles, lightly drained
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, light or regular, softened and cubed
  • 1 can (15-ounces) white or black beans, rinsed and drained (you can really use any type of bean you prefer here or leave them out)
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) green chile enchilada sauce (or salsa verde)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
  • Assembly:
  • 8 ounces (about 2 cups) Monterey jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 medium (soft taco size) flour or corn tortillas
  • Handful of chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and green chiles. Mix well. Add the chicken, black beans, cilantro and lime juice. Mix to combine. Set aside.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. As you whisk and the mixture cooks, the flour will get less lumpy around the onions and the mixture will become smooth. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is bubbling and has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the enchilada sauce and sour cream.
  4. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce in a thin layer on the bottom of the dish. Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 cup of the chicken/cream cheese filling. Top with a small handful of shredded cheese, a couple tablespoonfuls for each enchilada. Save at least 1/2 cup cheese for the top of the enchiladas.
  5. Roll the tortillas up and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Continue filling enchiladas until the dish is full (I get about 8 enchiladas for this recipe).
  6. Pour the white sauce over the top of the enchiladas and spread evenly. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the enchiladas are bubbling, hot and lightly browned. Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top and serve.

Make Ahead Instructions: Follow the recipe instructions, letting the sauce cool to warm room temperature before proceeding with filling the enchiladas. Assemble the enchiladas as directed in the recipe with the cooled sauce. Cover the baking pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8-12 hours before baking. Bake according to the recipe, adding an additional 5-10 minutes if needed since the enchiladas were refrigerated. Alternately, after assembling, the baking pan can be covered with a double layer of foil and put in a jumbo-sized resealable bag and frozen for up to two months. Bake from frozen by decreasing the baking temperature to 350 degrees F and baking the enchiladas covered for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour until the dish is hot and bubbly.

Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

131 Responses to Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

1. Enchiladas are a favorite in our house. We have to make them every week!

2. Barbara says:

Great idea to make white enchiladas, Mel. I would much prefer it. Copying the recipe now….

3. This is one of our go-to dinners. Instead of making the sauce from scratch, I stir together equal parts tomatillo salsa and sour cream. It’s delicious too!

4. Crystal says:

We love a similar recipe. Ours doesn’t have beens but that sounds good! We really like a little cilantro rice tucked in ours. Yum Yum!

5. megan says:

I’ve never made white enchiladas before, but this sounds great! I just froze about 3 cups of leftover chicken the other night….sounds perfect to me!

6. Amber says:

I just had to leave you a comment and tell you how much I love your blog and thank you for the great recipes. I have had my eye on many recipes of yours to try and last week I did it. I made one of your delicious recipes every night for dinner! Now I have many favorites to go to! Thanks again!

Thanks, Amber – I’m so happy you’ve liked the recipes you’ve tried and I hope you find many more that are hits as well!

7. Kim in MD says:

This looks fantastic, Mel! I have never made white enchiladas, but I will now! Thanks for sharing! :-)

8. Cara says:

Thank you! Thank you! I was just about to begin searching for this exact recipe. I’ve been making creamy chicken enchiladas with cream of whatever soups and really want to make it without using those. Your timing is perfect in posting this recipe and it looks just wonderful. Thanks!!

9. grace says:

you have to throw health to the wind every once in awhile, and this is the type of meal that makes it easy to do so. enchiladas are a favorite for this gal, and your perfected sauce is amazing. health shmealth. :)

10. hayley says:

This is pretty close to my chicken enchilada recipe. I cook my chicken in the crockpot with an onion, green chilli’s, a packet of italian seasoning and some chilli powder. Then shred it and add the cream cheese. Goodness, it’s tasty! Can’t wait to try this one out.

11. Anna says:

Thanks for your recipe! I have to admit, after living in New Mexico for some time, I have become accustomed to enchiladas. Just a suggestion…instead of using the canned stuff (which is full of preservatives) you can use fresh anaheims (unless you live in NM and can get the real stuff) or use frozen chiles – they taste better!

12. Brooke says:

Oh my, those look amazing. I just posted a similar recipe that is awesome: http://babblingsfrombrooke.blogspot.com/2010/05/best-enchiladasever.html.

13. Cathryn says:

I have tried hard NOT to look at this recipe all day…but…the CHEESE, oh my goodness. I think the healthy eating plan is just going to have to be “on hold” tomorrow as I am sure I won’t stop thinking of this recipe until I make and eat it. :)

14. Kathleen says:

This recipe certainly sounds like it Rocks! I can’t wait to try it.

15. Alisha says:

Go Liz P! Love that girl.

I have some bad news Mel, very very bad news. I think my baby can’t have dairy. I’m dying reading these recipes I want to try on here– but I can’t! Oh, and all of the well thought out & prepared freezer meals I did a few months ago? Most of them have cheese, of course. Dagnabit. What am I going to do? Until I stop nursing or he grows out of it, I’ll have to keep a list of everything I want to try later!

16. Julie M. says:

Those look so good! I’m a sucker for a white sauce. thanks for sharing!

17. Cammee says:

I have about a billion and 1 enchilada recipes, but the Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas are our favorite! I can’t wait to try this one, enchiladas are one thing my ENTIRE family will eat!

18. Camille says:

Ohhhhhh!!!!!! These look sooooo yummy!!! Can’t wait to try them!!! I LOVE chicken enchilada’s!!!!

19. Melissa says:

I made these tonight for dinner and they were so good! my husband said they were a 10 out of 10 :) thank you for putting yummy recipes that don’t use the condensed soups!

20. Veronica M. says:

Wow, these sound fabulous! You go, girl!

21. Bruce In De Pere says:

Meg made this last night and it turned out soooooo delicious.

Bruce (and Meg, of course) – thanks for checking in on this recipe. You know I’ll still love the lot of you even if you think a recipe is terrible, right?? By the way, I just made the infamous chocolate angel food cake. Despite Ty sticking his finger into the center of the cooled cake, making a divet the size of Texas, I have a feeling it’s going to be ggoooooodd.

22. Megan says:

My sister requested this for her birthday dinner….No lie, she was licking her plate. Yes, and she’s not 8…more like 28. Everyone loved them. These are easily 10 out of 10, even more. We did them with the white beans and my sis almost cried when we realized we forgot to put the cilantro on. I guess the leftovers will be loaded with cilantro. Thanks for the AWESOME recipe and my sis says it’s her favorite enchilada. YUM. Can’t wait to make them again.

Megan – so funny. I’m glad I’m not the only one who licks her plate now and again. :) Thanks for checking in on this recipe. I’m so glad it was a hit!

23. April Smith says:

I have been looking for a great green chicken enchilada recipe for a while now and couldn’t wait to try these out. I loved the homemade sauce (no canned soup!) so much I added the whole can of green enchilada sauce. They turned out wonderfully and my family approved with empty plates! Thanks a bunch!

24. Michelle says:

This was my first recipe that I made from your blog, and I know now, that it wont be my last. My whole family loved the “Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas.” I defiantly will be making this again, and again.
    You are the best! Thank you so much.

25. heidi says:

This recipe kicks my old’s trash! I actually haven’t made chicken enchiladas in far too long because of it. This is filling and delicious!
    Thanks a bajillion

26. KL Gifford says:

I made 4 pans of these for my father’s 80th birthday party and everyone LOVED them! They got rave reviews! Thanks for the great recipe. It’s a keeper. I made them a day ahead of time and baked them right before the party. I did use rotisserie chickens to save time since I had to make such a large amount. My very picky niece and nephew loved them, along with all my dad’s older friends. Can’t thank you enough. I’m e-mailing the recipe to all my kids and friends!

27. Ashlee says:

Yum, yum, yum! I had tons of shredded chicken left over from something, and this was fantastic. After we finished eating, my husband said that was the most satisfying meal he’s had in a long time…Maybe because I haven’t really cooked in awhile, but it was so good! We had it with a Bajio knock-off recipe for the sweet cilantro rice and it was delicious!

28. Jess says:

Just had these tonight and they were de.li.cious. Thanks for another great recipe!!

29. Cassandra says:

If I make these ahead of time and refrigerate, how long and at what temp should I bake?

Cassandra – if these enchiladas have been refrigerated, I would still bake them at the same temperature but I would add on about 15 minutes to the baking time.

30. Kristyn says:

I made these tonight – loved them! Thanks! It’s great to have them so creamy w/o using a can of cream of something soup!

31. Rebecca B says:

Am I crazy to try these with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving?

32. Rebecca B says:

I made these last night with the leftover breast meat from Thanksgiving and they were good. The turkey was surprisingly strong, sort of gamey tasting. These will be waaaay better with chicken! I will definitely be making these again and soon. They were a bit dry for me, but I put some salsa on top and it was fantastic. It made 12 enchiladas.
    One note, I used low-fat sour cream and Neufchatel cheese (that’s the stuff that looks like the brick of cream cheese and says its 1/3 fat of the cr cheese). I couldn’t find reduced fat Monterey Jack. Again, very good, but definitely waaaay better with the real deal. However, I most often use reduced fat dairy, so the next time I make these (with chicken) I will still use the low-fat varieties.

Rebecca – I think these would be great with leftover turkey so fantastic idea on that one. Thanks for including your notes and variations!

33. Emily says:

Once again, a delicious recipe. This one is definitely a keeper. I loved the sauce!

34. Jenny says:

Thanks for the great recipe! Loved it!! Every recipe I have tried from you always turns out great! Thank you SO much!

35. Kami says:

LOVE this one!!! Great website and great recipes!! Thanks :)

36. Jenna says:

Again . . . another delicious recipe from your site. I normally just pour the green enchilada sauce over the top, but making this creamy version is so much more tasty. It wasn’t too spicy (my kids’ normal complaint with enchiladas). And I used white beans and I believe the beans made a HUGE difference. These were so good and I can’t wait to taste them tomorrow, since they are always better the next day.

37. Piper says:

I used the fajita sized tortillas which are on the smaller side and I had enough to make dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day AND an extra pan that I put in the freezer (unbaked). I’m hoping they’ll freeze well because they are delicious. Even my husband liked them and he isn’t a fan of cream cheese/sour cream concoctions.

38. […] — I could pretty much eat Mexican food every day.  Besides, I needed an excuse to try out this recipe for chicken enchiladas that I found on my friend Lanita’s recipe blog.  Cinco de Mayo is […]

39. Kathiseattle says:

I made these last night but instead of using just green chiles, I also added diced chipolte peppers, and upped the amount of cream cheese to counter-act a bit of the heat. Wow! They were amazing and you can really adjust how spicy you want them. Since my kids are 4, 2, and 2 I need to be mindful of spice, but my twins loved them. I served this with Mexican rice, throwing in some fresh corn-on-the cob we BBQ’d Saturday night and black beans. I also added some cotija cheese to the plate, along with shredded lettuce, sour cream and diced tomato. Yummy!

40. Melissa says:

We are thoroughly enjoying your recipes!! i am a single mom of six, and your snowman cupcakes or so cute! Making these enchilada’s tonight! Do you have a way to tweet? I would love to tweet some of these to friends!
    Thanks for this! excellent help for our house!

41. Jody, RD says:

These were awesome! I featured this recipe with a few healthy alterations on my blog. http://blogfoodbetter.blogspot.com/2011/08/creamy-green-chile-chicken-enchiladas.html

42. Jocelyn says:

I just made these this past weekend and might I say they came out outstanding! Just he perfect creamy. I used pinto beans instead of black and they were a hit in my house. Thanks again, for a great recipe!

43. […] Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas from this recipe […]

44. Jolene says:

I just moved to Nebraska and meet someone who knew you and referred me to your website! Glad they did. I tried these and I even healthified them here http://healthconsciousmommas.blogspot.com/2011/10/healthy-chicken-enchiladas.html
    Thanks for sharing!

45. Trish says:

I made these the other night, and they were absolutely delicious! My husband normally doesn’t like chicken or enchiladas, but he loved these and told me to definitely make them again. Thank you for sharing!

46. Zenaida says:

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING! I used a lot more cheese (as usual) and my boyfriend was in heaven! We LOVED every bite! I am so happy I can trust you to have AMAZING recipes! Thank you again! Can’t wait till the next time!

47. Barbij says:

Made these last night. Everyone loved them & one person took home a copy of the recipe. :)

48. Ashley says:

Hahaha, I just did the WW P+ on these, and they are as many points as an average woman should eat in the entire day.

49. Angela says:

Just made these for dinner and they were delicious!!!!!! Yum Yum. Stoked that I have leftovers for tomorrow too! Love your blog.

50. Emberly says:

Love, love, love these! I love your site and cook something from at least once a week if not more. Keep those yummy recipes coming!

51. Christyn says:

Commented once before but these deserve a comment for sure! Made them last night, and have leftovers for lunch at work today. My whole family loved these (though my husband and I added chopped jalapenos to our to “spice it up!”) The kids loved the creamy, mild flavor- and I loved that they were lighter than our usual recipe.

I love that your homemade recipes are things that I can share with my whole family. I am diabetic, and for a while was making two dinners every night. I’ve now found that by using your recipes, which have VERY limited processed ingredients, I am better able to control my blood sugar. I ahve so MANY recipes tagged for future use, I’ve made my own little binder of “Mel’s Recipe to Try.”
    Thanks so much for your hard work, I’m definitely a follower!!

52. Malinda says:

I’ve made these twice. Delicious!

53. Marla says:

Has anyone made this for the freezer? If so was it still good and how do you cook frozen?

54. Pam says:

I made your enchiladas for dinner last night and they were amazing. Love that they were a white sauce and the touch of fresh cilantro really sets them off.

55. […] Source: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Café […]

56. Laurel says:

Mel, this might seem weird but… I love you! Sigh

57. Patty says:

Hi Mel…this recipe is AWESOME…however, I have one suggestion. I am Mexican and I happen to live in the Tex Mex Capital of the world, San Antonio TX…everyone around these parts grows up eating them, that being said I would consider myself a connoisseur of the enchilada and a self proclaimed expert! I urge you to try this recipe using corn tortillas instead of flour. Although I have tried enchiladas using flour tortillas, it’s pretty much a cardinal sin around these parts…get a rope! 😉 Corn tortillas do not get soggy and are the perfect vehicle for your filling and sauce! Try it and I guarantee you’ll like it. BTW…make sure to warm up the corn tortillas in the microwave wrapped in damp paper towels. This will make them soft and pliable and keep them from breaking when you roll them. If you don’t mind the extra calories and fat, the traditional way to prep the corn tortilla before filling and rolling is to dip/fry them lightly in vegetable oil. Delicious, but SOOOO much added fat!

58. […] love love her Chicken Enchiladas. Since we are  mostly “flexitarians” (-n 1. a person who eats a predominantly […]

59. Mauri says:

This sounds so delicious, can’t wait to try it!!

60. […] From:  My Kitchen Cafe […]

61. Jeannette says:

Made these last night and they were DIVINE! I have been searching for a good green chili chicken enchilada recipe and am so glad I finally found one. THANK YOU!!! Made them for a crowd actually and everyone had seconds and asked for the recipe. De-lish.

62. Michelle Barber says:

I’m just here to say I woke up at 5:15 this morning craving these. That’s normal.

63. Lex says:

I don’t usually leave comments but I have to tell you- We made these, we ate these, life will never be the same. Seriously these are SO delicious. My husband is an enchilada snob and he devours these every time I make them, they are a must make. Cant thank you enough! :)

64. Sara Beth says:

AMAZING! I had a bunch of anaheim peppers, so I roasted them and used them in a homemade green enchilada sauce, and also used them in place of the can of green chiles. I am a huge fan of enchiladas (of all varieties!) so I will be working/cooking/eating my way through your different variations.:) Thanks so much for another delicious recipe.

65. Pam in Green Bay says:

My sister turned me on to your site and I love it! Quick question on the cooked chicken this recipe calls for….how do YOU cook your chicken? Do you poach, fry, etc.?

66. Veronica says:

Just have to tell you that I made these last night – and they were the BOMB!! Will eat the leftovers tonight and my family is already asking when I’ll make them again. Next time, I’ll double the recipe and freeze a batch for work night cooking :)

67. Tanya says:

I went to Publix last night to gather my ingredients and could not find premade Green Enchilada sauce BUT they had a brand new product in a BAG…some kind of Red Chili Enchilada sauce so I figured what the heck, either forget the entire thing or try and adapt …..so…..I used it in place of the green and it was AWESOME! Even my daughter who doesn’t eat beans or most cheese loved them! I am now dying to find some green sauce and try it that way too!!! LOVE your site and now have it bookmarked for recipe ideas! 😉

68. […] saw this on Pinterest, of course, and decided to give it a try. My family really liked it, except for the boy of course. […]

69. sarah says:

I love these! Recently I made them for a friend who came over for dinner and she loved them so much I sent her home with the recipe.

I noticed a few comments earlier someone mentioning the WW points plus. When I make these I get 12 enchiladas which is 5 pts per enchilada. That isnt bad at all! Thanks again for the tasty recipe!

70. Lisa says:

I was so excited to find this website, however after making the green chile chicken enchiladas… I was not impressed but look forward to making other recipes in hopes I will add them to my favorites.

71. Rebecca says:

Holy OMG goodness!!! Made tehse for hubby’s birthday dinner last night. They were FANTASTIC!!!!!! I definite keeper in our house. Thanks so much!!!!!

72. Charlene says:

I made this recipe last weekend. I seasoned chicken with cumin and Mexican oregano. poblano peppers poblano peppers and Anaheim peppers . They were delicious. and he said these were the best enchiladas he’s ever had. Going to mexico this weekend and I’m going to make these for all of our friends down there. Thank you for the great recipe.

73. Jazzjune says:

The best EVER! I am going to make this weekly. Even my finicky son asked for next day leftovers. AWESOME.

74. […] recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs, Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Thanks […]

75. d. hanson says:

These were fantastic! The sauce put them over the top awesome. I didn’t put any beans in them. I will be serving them for my bunko ladies next weekend. Im excited to try your other recipes!

76. Holly says:

Made these for the family tonight after finding them on Pinterest. The directions were super easy to follow and it was a hit! Husband loved them and my son actually ate the whole thing, which is good because he is a picky eater. I forgot to get the green enchilada sauce so I just used another can of green chilies and some cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. I’m looking forward to making these again (the correct way). Thank you for the recipe!!!

77. Linda says:

It’s in the oven now and smells heavenly. Only one disappointment. I was happy not to use any canned soup but dumbfounded at all the junky ingredients in the can of green enchiladas sauce. :( The store I went to had limited choices so I’m hoping that a different store will have a healthier selection of enchilada sauces. Thanks for the great recipe. I look forward to making others from your site.

78. Anna says:

Thank you!! I love your site! I just recently found it and I am so impressed with the recipes and organization. I have planned out my family menu for 2 weeks and each night we are trying a new Mel recipe :) Tonight was the first night and I made the enchiladas. They were WONDERFUL!! Thank you again and I am so looking forward to the next 2 weeks.

79. Shelly shook says:

This recipe turned out well for me. It was delicious! I served it at halftime last night during the Auburn -LSU game, and everyone enjoyed it despite our score at the half. I made a couple of modifications I wanted to mention to make it gluten free, I used corn tortillas which I bought fresh at a Hispanic market, I also used a green enchilada sauce called Frontera, that I found at Target. It is Gluten free. I subbed cornstarch for the flour in the sauce, but instead of sprinkling it on, I mixed it into the broth. Thanks for the recipe! This is a keeper.

80. Melanie says:

Fantastic! Made these last night and the whole family devoured them. Very rich with all of the cream cheese but sooo worth the extra calories. I hesitated to put the white beans in just out of habitually not eating beans in enchiladas but I am so glad I did. Leftovers are on the menu tonight and then I am making the slow cooker white chicken chili recipe next. Thank you so much for your site!

81. Teena says:

We love enchiladas of all types here in south Texas! Want to try this one but have sworn off flour tortillas. Do you think corn would work well with your recipe?

Teena – I’m sure corn tortillas would work fine; it all kind of depends on what you prefer. I haven’t made this recipe with corn tortillas, though, so I’m not sure if they will dry out a bit more or need more sauce so you might want to keep an eye on that.

82. Melissa says:

Any tricks/advice on how to make sure the flour tortillas don’t end up being soggy? Mine always end up soggy and nasty. Not sure if it is the brand or what. Thanks!

83. Patty says:

@Melissa, there is no way to keep flour tortillas from getting soggy/doughy in an enchilada recipe. Traditionally enchiladas are made using corn tortillas which hold up much better to sauces and moisture…not to mention I think they taste WAY better. Try it…you’ll like it. Tip: wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and toss them in the microwave for a minute or (2) to soften them up before rolling…that way they won’t break or crack when you’re rolling them up.

Hi Melissa – my flour tortillas don’t get overly soggy but they definitely do soften up a bit. Many people (like Peggy’s comment) prefer corn tortillas but our family is definitely more fond of flour tortillas. If your flour tortillas are getting too soggy, you can try pouring less sauce over the top of the enchiladas. We like ours saucy but you could probably get away with a bit less sauce to help the tortillas out a bit. Good luck!

84. Melissa says:

Do you think you could make this casserole-ish using corn tortillas and layering the ingredients?

85. Lisa says:

We had dinner at a popular Mexican restaurant here on Saturday night, and were incredibly disappointed with our enchiladas, despite rave reviews from family. I made these yesterday, Sunday, in hopes to erase the bad enchilada memory.
    It didn’t erase the memory, only made me realize even more that we won’t be returning, as these were the best I’ve had in a long time.
    Creamy. Enchilada-y. I can’t find the right word.
    Nom Nom Nom. The sounds we were making as we were stuffing our faces…. there is no combination of letters to express the pleasure.

86. Lisa says:

BTW commenters- I used shredded rotisserie chicken for these. A++

87. Heather says:

These were delicious and a huge hit! I think I might make them again tonight!! Lol. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

88. Rachel says:

Have these in the oven right now! I almost forgot to put the salt and pepper in though… I had them on the counter but as I was reading step 3 I didn’t see where to add the salt and pepper. I just added it at the end of step 3. Looking forward to trying them!

89. Jen says:

This enchilada sauce is delicious! I used your recipe to make a vegetarian version, but into a casserole. My mixture was green chilis, black beans, corn and zucchini mixed with a little sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder and S&P. I layered that with the sauce, cheese and corn tortillas. So yummy! But the sauce is what brings it all together. I love your blog and because my husband is vegetarian I frequently use your recipes but tweak them so he can have them. Thanks for all the recipe inspiration!

90. Lynn says:

I wanted to let you know that my sisters and I have been following your blog for a few years now and we have loved everything we have tried! I was having some guests over a few weeks ago and immediately ran to your blog and found these enchiladas. They raved over them, of course, so I mentioned your blog. Well, Elder Ethan Muller from Wisconsin says hello! He’s here serving in our ward in Roy, UT. Thank you for posting such wonderful recipes that helps me impress my guests!

91. Sarah says:

My son has a gluten intolerance but I adapt many of your recipes to fit our needs. I would have to make these with corn tortillas. The flour in this recipe appears to be for thickening the sauce. Could I substitute a corn,potato, or tapioca starch instead?

92. Talia says:

This looks so good..I am wondering if it is spicy…I have to be careful because of this darned acid reflux.. grr . a little heat is ok just wondering..

93. Tracy says:

My family LOVES this recipe. It is the most requested by my husband, and all four of my children inhale it. That says a lot!

94. I made this last night with my favorite green rice recipe. Everyone loved it. http://love2cooksweets.blogspot.com/2010/03/if-i-were-cookbook-designer-id-wear.html

95. Mckenzie says:

I can’t wait to try these! The make-ahead directions say to refrigerate 8-12 hours before baking. Is it okay to refrigerate for less time before baking (e.g. 2-3 hours)? Thanks!

96. Hilary says:

I made this for 2 different families and both requested the recipe within hours. Thanks for making me look good!

97. Melanie says:

These were so delicious Mel!! Even my 4-year-old and 2-year-old each ate a big plate of them. I made an extra pan to put in the freezer, and I’m so glad I did. I used Great Northern Beans, and I thought they were delish and also somewhat “camouflaged” in the cheese, haha. Thank you!

98. Rachel Page says:

I am definitely planning to make them sometime soon! I love tasty yet simple recipes!

99. Zeidy says:

I don’t mean to be rude, but these are not enchilada recipes at all. Call them something else, your appropriating a food from a different culture. Maybe a caserole of some kind?

• Just Some Guy says:

I am deeply sorry you feel this way. But before you assume I somehow agree with your position, you should know that my apology is not directed to you. It is directed to Mel’s Kitchen Café on your behalf, as well as society as a whole. I typically roll my eyes and then roll past comments like yours, optimistic that the comments are failed attempts at tongue-in-cheek, but you caught me on a bad week. From what we’ve seen transpire in the news over the last few days, it’s clear that we all need to do better at standing up to ignorance – no matter how petty – and declare that Enough. Is. Enough.

To say that this rift on an Americanized enchilada recipe is a “misappropriation of culture” is itself culturally inappropriate and absolutely counter-productive to our country’s dialogue. Your attempt at political correctness is actually incorrect and does not fuel the message of peace and tolerance that I’m sure you wear on your coat sleeve but clearly not in your brain or in your heart.

The liberal arts (and I’ll lump food into this category) have historically been one of the greatest forces for breaking down barriers and building greater tolerance, peace and cultural appreciation. They give us a way to feel, hear and taste the threads that weave the fabric of other cultures in ways we could not otherwise do. They build understanding, and when we understand one another, we tend to stand with one another instead of against each other.

The vast majority of American cuisine is actually an appropriation of other cultures’ foods. This is where I think you’ve been confused, or deceived by the tricky and often misapplied concept of political correctness. Appropriation is the legitimate borrowing and/or interpretation of something else. Misappropriation is the evil cousin, and is the theft of something with malicious intent. While you may find creamy enchiladas or green chilies personally offensive, the use of them in this recipe is nowhere near malicious. This recipe is not the horrible “black-face” of food or nowhere near it. It is a well-intentioned interpretation of a culturally iconic food – of which there are literally thousands upon thousands scattered across the Internet. This business of “intent” is where I’m getting steamed (and I apologize if the word “steamed” is a misappropriation of other cultures – since I’m American, I suppose I should say that it is getting me fried). The intent of this recipe was to share an innocent and appropriate interpretation of an enchilada, but the intent of your post was to incite sentiments and impugn the completely non-malicious intentions of this public and free blog.

So, before you cast further stones from under the bridge, cave or prison I can only assume you have placed your cultural consciousness, I ask that you seriously reconsider accusatory language that provokes rather than informs. Otherwise, to be intellectually honest, you will need to spend every second of the next decade commenting on every pasta recipe, every pizza recipe, every Americ-asian recipe, and every other Americ-ethnic recipe on every blog and website on the Internet. Because all of those, using your logic, would be misappropriations of culture if you compared the American version to the native equivalent.

America is the great cultural melting pot. But it isn’t the only one. You will find melting pots all across the world. Fortunately, ours happens to have a tremendous number of freedoms including those of speech and opinion of which you have chosen to exercise no matter how misinformed they may be. In each melting pot people incorporate and interpret cuisines of other cultures. This pays homage to the original versions, and like all copying, is a form of flattery.

Do I believe the Confederate Flag should be removed by every state government that uses it? Absolutely, but not because it is a misappropriation of culture. Instead, to many people, it is an offensive reminder of dark parts of American culture. Do I believe Miley Cyrus should stop twerking? Yes, because it disgusts me, but not because it is an improper misappropriation of black culture. Do I believe that Mel should stop posting Americanized versions of enchiladas, tacos, pizzas, lasagnas, curries, etc.? Of course not – that’d be absurd. But if I did, I wouldn’t try and change her mind. I’d find somewhere else to find my recipes.

So, in conclusion, I apologize again for your misappropriation of political/cultural correctness. I apologize that some people feel the need to stir the melting pot too vigorously. I apologize that you felt the need to say something out of place and out of line. And I’m sorry if you do not like me apologizing on your behalf. However, since you feel deputized to police the Internet for cultural violations and speak on behalf of others, my apology on yours should be welcome.

Mel – I really am sorry for turning your cooking blog into a cultural/political battleground, but I cannot keep my silence this morning. Perhaps it is because I was up ridiculously late last night making one of your delicious cupcake recipes and now I’m sleep deprived, insulin resistant and not thinking clearly. I’m sure you never thought when you posted a recipe for chicken fillings wrapped in a comforting tortilla blanket and coated with cream, cheese and chilies that you would provoke a cultural dialogue by placing the product in the category of “enchilada”!